Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batting for table runners? >

Batting for table runners?

Batting for table runners?

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 AM

I always use warm n natural batting in my tablerunners.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 AM

I have been using cotton as well, but maybe I should be using poly so that it doesn't get all wrinkly when you wash it. Hmm, I'll have to give this some thought and test runs.

I agree with some here, not a big fan of this new format at all, so I don't come around as much anymore. It's not worth the headache.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 AM

The first one I made for my sister I used thin warm and natural, she said it was too thick, she thought the flowers in vases would tip, the second and thereafter I use cream flannel, works great, or used muslin for the backing.
Good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
I attended two craft shows today and was looking at the table runners...most did not have batting or the batting was so thin it felt like the thickness of felt. Are you supposed to put batting in a table runner and if so, what?
I use INSUL-BRITE which is thin but heat resistant. I worry about an glass or something tipping over if the batting is too thick. (can buy at Hobby Lobby which is cheaper than JoAnn's.)
Old 12-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
I have had this posted now since Saturday and not one response! I've had 60 views but no responses! On the old format, I would have gotten a lot of answers! Have the helpful people left the board? This never even made it to the top of the "What's New", I guess because it didn't have any responses. The first place I found it was on page 2 of the "What's New"... Strange how this is working... I am posting again...
Been sewing. First I saw of your post.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM

I notice the difficulties in finding all of a section/unit, beyond the few listed as being important at the moment. To answer about the batting in table runners: I put one layer of Warm and Natural type inside, to give some definition as I like to hand quilt each design, then bind off the edges of those I make. For a longer type runner to place hot dishes on (in ther center motif/design area) I add some Insut Bright, and then write a note to the recipient that she can put hot dishes in that section. The only machine quilting I have done (becxause of bulk in handling material at the machine) is on table runners, where no filler or batting owuld work all right.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:03 AM

I usually put a very thin, flat batting or I use a layer of flannel. If your piece has a lot of little pieces, I would use the flannel.I also use flannel in vests. Or no batting at all.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 AM

I go to What's New and then click on the BLUE BUTTON on the right that reads RECENT TOPICS
Old 12-15-2011, 10:18 AM

When I make them I use Warm 'N Natural which is compacted and it works well. Or you can use flannel for batting also. I have been off the computer for a few days or I would have responded.

delma
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have written on the Main board a few times and also have had no responses. Usually I can't even find my post. It disappears. I use cotton batting on my table runners and wall hangings. I think felt (kinda expensive) would be cool to use. Flannel would be nice also. I think just about anything would work well. I've never seen one made with nothing in it.