Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011 >

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Penny Haren's "Pieced Applique "... 1 block a week begins January 2011

Old 12-16-2011, 05:44 AM

Since I am fairly new to quilting - and never have attempted applique at all! - I do not have much in the way of stash. I have finished piecing my second quilt top and have it pinned. Not sure if I am going to attempt to hand quilt this or not. I have started a mystery block from one of our LQS and while I like the pattern so far, it looks like some of the fabric I have used is really too thin and the blocks are all wonky. So that means a LOT of trying to square up and correct. I have also started a simple 'japanese lantern' pattern which will all be out of oriental fabrics. The fabric is from a dear quilter from our group who died early this year from cancer. The few months before that she brought in all her stash and I got all the remnants from her ginger jar project. So I have lots of that type, but not much else.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 PM

Cher - I am always careful about the quality of fabrics I generally use as poor quality may save on expense but may not give a good or lasting result. I consider the end use of the project. Does it need to withstand frequent washing, do you wish it to be handed on to the next generation or will you be putting hours and hours of work into it. If any of the above applies - use better quality fabric. On the other hand if you are making a project that is not expected to have a long life then perhaps the cheaper fabric will suffice.

If you already have thin quality fabric then I think starch, starch and more starch before you use it and make sure you square your blocks up after sewing and starch them again before joining together.

Regarding the PH blocks you could do "scrappy" and tie it in with one co-ordinating colour by buying different fat quarters which would add to your stash range. But I suppose I always think in FQ's as the cost of fabric here averages $A26 per metre so my stash is only fat quarters and I rarely buy in yardage.

I love Asian fabrics - would the ones you have be suitable for PH or would you prefer something else?
Old 12-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Shopping is done and the last box is mailed. Woo Hoo! There are several things coming up this week but I am looking forward to them and I am prepared and on schedule. I went to Mom and Dad's today and wrapped gifts with them. Then Mom and I went to lunch together. I am so glad to be living near them again!

I started my new project today. It is the applique flower garden one I showed awhile back. I have learned different ways of appliqueing since I first began that I had to sit and think out how I was going to do this. I did come up with an idea and maybe tomorrow I will try it on my first block.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM

Will be very interested to see your applique flower garden as you progress. I am tempted to try and get the book myself.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:26 AM

Hello, again, Cher. I agree with what Deecee said about the quality of fabrics. I think we all have had experience along those lines and it makes us 'count the cost'. Saying that I do find very acceptable quality of fabric at more places than just a LQS. Just look and feel to help you decide. Just keep us posted as you work through your decisions! Judith
Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I've been working like mad to finish up my 12" block, blue daisy quilt for my daughter for Christmas. I have it all quilted... did a section at a time, have them all together again, and am now putting on borders which still need to be quilted. Sure I'll have it done by Christmas morning. I don't need to sleep! lol - I mean "ho-ho-ho!"

I will post a photo but that will most likely be after Christmas. I hope you each and every one have a very special day on Sunday.

hugs, Jupiter
Old 12-23-2011, 12:25 PM

I'm sure you will get that quilt finished in time Jup and that DD will love it. We are all anxious to see pics of it all put together.

It's already Christmas Eve here so in case I don't get another chance - Merry Christmas everyone.

O.K. my Christmas card didn't want to post - insert card of choice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Christmas 15 - Copy.BMP
Views:	374
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	297266  

Last edited by Deecee; 12-23-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Your Christmas card is coming through loud and clear, Deecee. Thank you for your greetings! Happy Jesus' Birthday to all of you, too. So good to hear from you, Jupiter. I can just see you working feverishly on the quilt. I know it will be loved and appreciated. As always, pictures are anticipated!
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Wink Blue Daisy Quilt is Finished!

As promised, here are photos of my 12" block size, king size Blue Daisy Quilt. About half of the blocks are done with the PH method, the other half are regular pieced blocks.

Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Hard to believe its almost been a year since we started this group together. Friends... Yeah!!!!

hugs, Jupiter
aka Marilyn
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Daisy Quilt.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	577.9 KB
ID:	298762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Daisy Quilt Back.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	298763   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Daisy Quilt detail 1.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	298764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Daisy Quilt detail 2.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	298765   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blue Daisy Quilt on Bed.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	535.7 KB
ID:	298766  

Old 12-29-2011, 10:03 PM

Wow - Jup that is just fabulous....beautiful....and whatever other word I can think of.

You have been working very hard while I have been doing nothing We have been having near century heat here then storms with giant hail on Christmas Day - none of it very conducive to quilting at the moment.