Spelling

Old 12-16-2011, 09:26 AM

I have to agree that we are all probably doing the best we can. I was a 4.0 student in college, but when the fibrofog settles in, you might at times think I am a third grader. I know what I think I am saying and typing, but the fingers often have a mind of their own, and the brain often sees what it expects to see, not what the fingers have done. Later I might look back and wonder who typed that in my name. LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 09:49 AM

If I read the original poster correctly, she was interested in a subject posted on this board, but could not understand the post in that subject manner. Be it misspellings, cyber talk, or puncuation, she was having difficulty understanding a post she wanted to read. Like others on this board, she was frustrated not being able to read a post. And, like others on this board she was sharing her confusion.

As said in a previous post, "Quilting is the first language on this board" is a very good motto for this board, and maybe if we all think about that we will be understanding of those who are having difficulty expressing themselves as well as those who are having difficulty understanding others. I can love your quilt and tell you so in very expressive words, but except for my smile, if you do not understand my language, you will not know what was said. And don't we all want to know what was said about our quilts?
Old 12-16-2011, 10:30 AM

I think there may be a number of reasons why this may happen. I know I have always been a good speller but there are times I miss a key or try to type too fast and then I have errors. Know I should read back what I have written before sending but don't always do that.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:45 AM

I'm kind of crazy about spelling and grammar - I shout grammar corrections at the TV mostly about the improper use of I and me - when the speaker should know better (newsreader, program host, etc.). But that's me.

On the board, spelling doesn't bother me although sometimes I have to read a post more than once because the misspelled word really IS a word so the context is totally weird. Plus my own spelling has become worse since using the computer for writing and sometimes words spelled correctly look weird: e.g. color - shouldn't that have two "l's"?

It's the lack of punctuation or upper/lower case that throws me. I won't read anything that doesn't have punctuation because it just takes too much energy to figure out what the poster means.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:58 AM

I do have a brain injury. Laptop keys are closer together than a regular keyboard, kind of like a piano and a keyboard. I try though. I used to be picky about spelling, being a former secretary, proofreader, transcriptionist, etc., but not anymore. At least someone is trying. Not picky anymore. If you can't figure it out, just carry on to the next post. I have found that is what I have to do with this brain thing or I will waste time on something not understandable in the first place, right? The project is the main thing...
Old 12-16-2011, 12:25 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe View Post
I don' t get why so many are going off on the original poster. It took me a good while to figure out what DP9 and OBW meant. I don't she was being a snob at all.
I agree with this poster. I did not get the impression that the original poster was being snobbish or critical about spelling and such but that she wanted to get the information that someone had posted and couldn't understand it. I have had this problem recently too and it wasn't the spelling that was a problem (I often misspell also!) but the lack of punctuation like someone else mentioned. I had a hard time figuring out where a sentence began and ended. Since I am not a "texting" person (and this looked like it might have been posted that way), I had the feeling that that was why I couldn't decipher it. I read through it three or four times then gave up. I have no problem with ESL posters. I can usually figure out what they are trying to say fairly quickly so no problem and they do a much better job than I would do in their language! So, spelling mistakes, not a problem for me; wrong word usage, not a problem for me; cropped words and complete lack of punctuation, a problem for me for sure. Now, how do I get myself into the 21st century? And do I really want to do that? hehehe
Old 12-16-2011, 03:28 PM

I always proof my post before sending it, however, I'm sure at one time or another typos have slipped by me. I agree with most of you that the important thing to remember is we are here to learn and enjoy. It's not that important to be perfect.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:49 PM

I am glad to read any and all comments and posts on this Board, no matter how well each one has been written. There are many reasons for incorrect spellings, grammar, etc., and as a former English teacher of course I spot these, but in no way would I wish anyone to not write because of this. Let us all enjoy each other and what we are all sharing. It might be helpful for some readers if we would explain our initials more often (such as 4P, SID)
Old 12-16-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Most likely it was use of abbreviations. However, I have discovered that sometimes my fingers don't spell as well as they should! Seems like one hand gets ahead of the other...
I agree with this one. My fingers just rattle on. And I had a stroke long time ago and get my left and right mixed up: for instance If I want to type a "k" I will hit the key with that finger but on the opposite hand typing a "d". I know that sounds strange, but it happens a lot. But I don't usually have a hard time reading posts because I was so used to reading things written by first graders. We all need to be understanding and more tolerant. We've all heard the phrase "it's the thought that counts." Well we can pretty much get the thought.

And regarding the poster who had a problem with lack of punctuation, try reading the post out loud several times. That will help you to get the thoughts together.

Last edited by GailG; 12-16-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:53 PM

As long as I can figure out what's being said, it's great with me. We all make our mistakes, and this is supposed to be fun not a written exam.