Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >
  • Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

• Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-16-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
    Aww, catching up on American Pickers and wishing I could control the camera! Four treadle machines all in a row, and they barely show them.
    That is the first thing I notice on that show too. I'm always saying out loud "open up that treadle and show us what's in there" but they never do. I think I may write in and tell them ppl are interested in seeing those old ladies.
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett
    Aww, catching up on American Pickers and wishing I could control the camera! Four treadle machines all in a row, and they barely show them.
    I love that show!
    Old 12-16-2011, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
    That is the first thing I notice on that show too. I'm always saying out loud "open up that treadle and show us what's in there" but they never do. I think I may write in and tell them ppl are interested in seeing those old ladies.
    Yeah, but there's no money in old treadles to resell and that's what they're there for. Not to waste their time. I started watching Picking Sisters too, but I don't know if that one is still on.
    Old 12-16-2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    That would be fun to treadle! Too far a drive for me. Hopefully someone in the Sacramento area picks it up, but if no, it will be fun watching it on ebay.
    Well, I took a stab at it on ebay. But, for a non-operable machine it's not worth too much. Who knows what's wrong with it and the parts for this machine aren't easy to come by.
    Old 12-16-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Well, I took a stab at it on ebay. But, for a non-operable machine it's not worth too much. Who knows what's wrong with it and the parts for this machine aren't easy to come by.
    There's one of 3 things wrong with it....either the handwheel clutch hasn't been retightened ,badly in need of oiling or the top gear is cracked.
    My DD's 730 free arm had that gear replaced before we bought it.
    Old 12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    There's one of 3 things wrong with it....either the handwheel clutch hasn't been retightened ,badly in need of oiling or the top gear is cracked.
    You don't ever want to run one of those cold - ask me how I know
    Old 12-16-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
    Yup, it may be something completely minor or major and I'm not going to bet the house on it:> Anyway, my bid isn't making the reserve price, anyway. I'm not in love with the table, either.
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
    Yeah, but there's no money in old treadles to resell and that's what they're there for. Not to waste their time. I started watching Picking Sisters too, but I don't know if that one is still on.
    I didn't know they had another picking show. I'll have to look for that one. It's fun to see what they come across that I'd have no clue about.
    Old 12-16-2011, 03:38 PM

I think this is a 28, can't be totally sure of the 2nd digit in the serial number, looks to be in 1906 with a run of 225,000 numbers. Cute little machine in a nice looking treadle in the Dallas area in case anyone's interested.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/atq/2752571134.html
    Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM

I bought a red head in a treadle. The treadle has no pitman nor a screw to hold the skirt guard in place. The had converted it to a electric. I called a dealer where I get my old parts from to see if he had any for me. He told me that those things were just junk. He had no room to store junk and to try a junk dealer for those parts. I was horrified at his comment on just junk. Do any of you have any spare pitmans or screws that you would like to sell? Kathie