Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-17-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I would not, at this point, give her a quilt. I think she made the comment about not having a quilt just as a way to keep the conversation going, and she doesn't expect that you will be giving her one. Your relationship with her is quite new, and it would put her in an awkward position to receive such a large gift. How can she ever reciprocate? On the other hand, a simple quilt for her daughter might be perfect and wouldn't put her in such a difficult position.
I agree here. That is not a gift for someone that you have used only a few times. That is way too expensive and I also agree that she was probably just keeping the conversation going. Give her a nice card with some money and that will be sufficient. If the subject comes up again you can figure a way to let her know how much the cost would be for a quilt.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:07 AM

I feel it's too premature in your relationship with her. People think we just crank these things out & have no idea of the expense or labor involved. I don't understand why you feel obligated to gift her such a prize (or anything else) when a card with $5 in it would be more appropriate. I've become very cautious in who I tell I have so many quilts & nobody to give them to. She could find a different job & be gone in a heartbeat with no concern for you. Just a thought.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:44 AM

Well, I'm to the end and there's no response from Jeanne from Cove Oregon as to what she has decided. It's like a good book here - each character in the book has a different idea, but in the end, our hero, Jeanne will make up her mind and act. I'm watching this to see if and how she has responded. Curious, cause I know what I'd do.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM

I always give my hairdresser a gift. None cost anywhere near what a quilt is worth but I wouldn't rule out giving her one sometime. When I worked for a doctor a few patients would bring me gifts at Christmas and I can't tell you how wonderful it felt to get something!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:11 AM

Do what your heart tells you to do. There are no rules. It's your quilt and what you decide to do with it should give you joy, not cause anxiety. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:17 AM

If you're worried about the money, then don't give it to her. If you really like her and want to give her the quilt, then give it to her. It will make her day!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:23 AM

For sometime I burned myself out doing gifts for everyone that was associated with our kids education. After the uproar and very poor behavior by those same people over the need to get our state back in check financially, I realized I'd been expending my efforts for people who not only didn't appreciate it but expected it.
This young woman has expressed an interest that only you can evaluate. Perhaps she has never known what it's like to have a gift made by hand with great care. The issue isn't the dollar amount it's the item itself.
I have made quilts for people who did not understand the reality of a home made gift and found them discarded or stuck in a closet and then there were those who I thought may not care who treasured them more then I ever thought.
Give her the gift you feel is right and add with it printed care instructions for now and preservation.

Just a quick note of an unexpected gift appreciated. Several years ago my oldest son entered junior high and realized one of the teachers from his grade school who had treated him with respect was now at that school teaching english to non-english speaking students. He never had her for a teacher nor did he see her often. At Christmas he saught her out and gave her a small gift. She threw her arms around him and broke down into tears which caught everyone on the staff off guard as she was a strong and private woman. Our then 12 year old son in his normal gentle nature held her and comforted her whispering- Jesus loves you, Jesus loves you. Her confided in him that her mother was dieing and she felt so dispondant. That one moment and gift made a major impact in her life at just the right time.
When we spend time threorizing and rationalizing what to do and not we miss oppurtunities that way beyond our understanding have an impact on someone we may never have thought they would.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:54 AM
cmb

When I give a quilt I always ask myself "Is that person quiltworthy...?" Would they appreciate the hard work, time and money that goes into it...
Old 12-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I'd wait till next Christmas for a quilt, but you could make her some mugrugs or coaster or place mats. or a table runner maybe. something smaller.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:32 AM

The idea of giving a quilt is the love and care you put into it. I gave my grandson and new wife a quilt for a wedding gift and did not even get a thank you, so must say wish I had never given one to them. The wedding was in June and haven't heard a word since. Lesson learned