Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? >

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser?

Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Since you have so many quilts, you like this hair dresser and want to keep using her I would give her the quilt. She will forever be grateful to you. A nice tip or gift certificate to have a nice meal is always appreciate too. I have been using my hair dresser for over 10 years and I usually give her tip. She always gives me a bag with hair spray, shampoo and etc in it each year. Its not the expense but the feeling you want to share with her, both feelings for you and her. Give what your heart tells you to do.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:31 AM

Follow your heart. It sounds like you're giving it to her. I've had dilemmas like this myself. I've decided that it's usually better to give the the gift. In recent years I've thrown out a lot of my rules regarding gift-giving. Sometimes I've gotten someone an extravagant gift, and then next time it's more simple. A gift is something extra and necessary. Make sure to let us know how it turns out.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I agree with you. I really want to give her this quilt. The way she said "I don't have a quilt" told me she would like one. I have some already made and ready to go. I think I will give her one but I'm not going to keep giving her Christmas gifts. I always give her a tip. When she said she didn't have a quilt, the look in her eyes really got to me.
do what is best for you!

What are you going to do with the quilts that you have made? I make mine for the enjoyment of the work - I donate all of them-If you are worried about the money donate and take off your taxes.

Gifts are gifts-not a money measurement. I give because it make ME feels good and I know I can help someone else.

In the end do what feels right to you and the heck with what anyone else thinks or feels-including me!!
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM

I give my hairdresser/manicurist a plate of homemade goodies. But when she expanded her salon to include a gift shop, I made her a beautiful quilt to commemorate the event, which she still has displayed in the shop to this day. She cried when I gave it to her.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

If you giving it away i wouldnt worry about the cost give from the heart
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM

Default Give a lap quilt to new hairdresser

I was told that you can give or tip a hairdresser as long as she doesn't own the shop.
I would find out if she would appreciate the time and money that you put into it first.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ardell View Post
I was told that you can give or tip a hairdresser as long as she doesn't own the shop.
I would find out if she would appreciate the time and money that you put into it first.
Are you saying not to tip an owner/stylist? Sounds quite unfair.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM

It's a good thing to give someone something made with Love just because they admire it. Who would appreciate something more than someone who admires it much. Everyone who admires things made with love is deserving of these things. But we should always give with our heart or don't bother.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM

I wouldn't give a quilt to a new hairdresser. I am very generous to anyone who services me through out the year but I don't believe it would be appreciated as much as cash. My three sisters are all hairdressers and live on tips. I would give an extra tip which according to my sisters is greatly appreciated.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:56 PM

I recommend making a pillowcase for her and her daughter. You can make them matching, or not. It's not going overboard and it lets her know you appreciate her.