Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!! >

Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!!

Going to Hawaii - YIPEE!!!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 08:19 AM

You will love love love it! I spent two weeks on the Big Island in and around Kona 2 years ago and there is a really nice but small shop in the King Kamehameha Mall in Kona. This shop specializes in batik fabric and the owner is a pattern designer. Three years ago I spent a month on Kauai and there is a very nice shop there Kapaia Stitchery with a wonderful shop and story. The owner, Julie, died suddenly a few years back and the family has stepped in and is continuing on in the business. Lisa Boyer (That Dorky Homeade Look) lives on the island and posted this article about the original owner and how they miss her: http://lisaboyer.blogspot.com/2008/0...ng-things.html

Anyway...I am so jealous! I just returned from a 2 1/2 week stay in Maui and the shops there are great also. Just buy fabric! You will have something to always remember your trip by (eventho you might have to use UPS to ship it home!!)
Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dluttrell2 View Post
You will love love love it! I spent two weeks on the Big Island in and around Kona 2 years ago and there is a really nice but small shop in the King Kamehameha Mall in Kona. This shop specializes in batik fabric and the owner is a pattern designer. Three years ago I spent a month on Kauai and there is a very nice shop there Kapaia Stitchery with a wonderful shop and story. The owner, Julie, died suddenly a few years back and the family has stepped in and is continuing on in the business. Lisa Boyer (That Dorky Homeade Look) lives on the island and posted this article about the original owner and how they miss her: http://lisaboyer.blogspot.com/2008/0...ng-things.html

Anyway...I am so jealous! I just returned from a 2 1/2 week stay in Maui and the shops there are great also. Just buy fabric! You will have something to always remember your trip by (eventho you might have to use UPS to ship it home!!)
Thanks for sending this - I'll be sure to check out the shop when I'm there. Lisa's blog seems to be old...I wonder if she is still doing it? I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:44 PM

You can cruise to Hawaii meeting both of your desires (smile). Just a thought!!

Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
Wow! Lucky you! Next year is our 40th. anniversary and we want to do something special. I want to go to Hawaii but he wants to go on a cruise. Wonder where we will end up. Have fun shopping!
Old 12-18-2011, 03:50 PM

Oh that sounds like such a dream honeymoon I would just love the shopping it sounds wonderful. I hope you have a wonderful time and find wonderful buys. I hope you can take pics when you get back. I'm so excited for you. My DH and I always wanted to go to Alaska and Hawaii I don't know which will come first. He just retired this week so we'll see. Have a great time. Sue
Old 12-18-2011, 04:06 PM

Suggestion: Take a cruise to Hawaii!!!!! It took us 48 yrs. to get there. Loved it!!!
Old 12-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Where did you take the cruise to Hawaii from we live in Fl. and they don't for some reason go to Hi from here most of them you have to also fly to get there. We just celebrated our 48th anniversary Dec. 7, 2011 it seems like yesterday. Thanks Sue
Old 12-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Thank you for starting this thread and for the shop suggestions. DH and I will be in Honolulu in early Jan. (he is going for work and I am going for fun). I am hoping to find some shops while he is in his meetings. We are staying at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel so if anyone has suggestions/directions I would also appreciate them. This is the first time for me to go to Hawaii and I am so very excited!
Old 12-18-2011, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by fairydawn View Post
Wow! Lucky you! Next year is our 40th. anniversary and we want to do something special. I want to go to Hawaii but he wants to go on a cruise. Wonder where we will end up. Have fun shopping!
Go on a cruise to Hawaii or a cruise around Hawaii!!
Old 12-18-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by ging10ging View Post
Where did you take the cruise to Hawaii from we live in Fl. and they don't for some reason go to Hi from here most of them you have to also fly to get there.
Usually they originate from San Diego.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:47 AM
BMP

My DH and I went 2years ago, cruised around the islands and stayed several days pre cruise in Ohau . Its very pretty but not a place I will return too. Way too many rude tourists. The locals are wonderful. I didnt scout out any fabric stores just trying to see the many sites took up most of our time.