Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made any baby quilts lately? >

Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Have you made any baby quilts lately?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:14 AM

I like making rag quilts for baby gifts.
I ask if they have a nursery theme or ask someone who knows the parents to be.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM

Will be starting one soon - took the mom-to-be to the quilt store and let her pick out the fabrics & pattern - she chose what would match the babies room - pinks, greens, browns, blues & greys. I get to mix and match the fabrics as I want in the different blocks so there will be some surprise for her in the end.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:03 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

pink and brown. the mommy to be loved it and had her hubby repaint the nursery to match.

Last edited by cherrio; 12-18-2011 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spellig
Old 12-18-2011, 09:10 AM

I try and get a little input from the mommy when i make a baby quilt just to make sure that it will be liked and used. I have made about 5 so far this year. Two were a surprise one was for a mommy who's dd is friends with mine and was having number four. These I just went with what I liked the next two I made were for one mommy one was for the crib when the baby is a bit bigger which mommy picked out the fabrics and the other one I made was in fabrics that I liked. I am getting ready to make two more for a close friend of mine. They decided to have number three and are not going to find out what they are having. Well we will see if they can wait that long. I hope they can't and it is a girl because I have some fabric and patterns that I really want to use. And the other one I am making I will let her pick the fabrics for that one. She likes to sew stuff to so I can trust her eye on that.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:31 AM

I make baby quilts for charity and I can
not keep up with the need for them. So many people are having benefits for someone who has cancer and they always have a silent auction where my baby quilts sell for good prices for the person who has the cancer related bills. I keep a supply of fabric so I always have one on the design wall and a few in the give away box. I love doing this.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:42 AM

I made a baby quilt for my DD's coworker. They had struggled for years trying to get pregnant. I made a pink and brown quilt. I picked out the fabric. She gave me the colors.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
It's been a year since the last three baby quilts I made. I don't use "baby" fabrics. I may use pastels but they're not baby prints. Two of the last ones I made were dark jewel tone prints and they turned out really pretty. I'll be making a baby quilt right after Christmas and it's going to be taupe, gray, white and pink on an ivory background that has a taupe and gray floral print. The fabrics are just gorgeous together.

The main reason I don't use baby prints is I don't want the girls rejecting the quilt when they're two or three because it's "too baby" for them now.

Thanks for that piece of advice! The one about rejecting the quilt when they're two or three because they're "too babyish" for them. I was just about to start on a quilt for a boy, and had planned the typical baby quilt, but hadn't bought any fabric yet. Wow, if anyone is going to reject something "babyish", it's a boy. So now he's going to be getting a much different quilt, something that would hopefully last through the early years without rejection. No baby fabrics, but a really fun design that would appeal to any age. It's going to be fun putting it together!

I read more of these posts than I respond to, and it's just for gems like this that I do so! Many thanks!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM

I generally make baby quilts in bright colors and use whatever pattern and fabric I feel like using. So far no complaints! The kids grow and continue to use their quilts for play, reading, whatever.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Yes, and they just keep coming. One I made and it was all my choice. I did not know the mother well. It was white with small gem tone diamonds. I liked it she was oh, so ho-humm about the "blanket". Another was for a niece who wanted a quilt to go with her Curious George theme nursery. I made simple pieced blocks that were of softer color versions of the bunch of balloons that George carries in many of the books. It came out nice and was well received. One for my grandson, I made a turquoise, yellow and white large block quilt. Sounds loud but my daughter loves it. Now the next one waiting to be cut this week is for another niece that rummaged through her mother's stash. Her was a magnificent quilter passed away and I have the stash. My niece picked out four pieces that go together well, I added a fourth but I did not tell her what the pattern will be.

Bottom line. It is all mixed up. It depends on the mother and you the quilter. I would leave the grandma out of the picture. (Just my little quirk.) I enjoyed making all of these quilts whether the colors were chosen, I was given some little bit of direction or if I just made it to bring pleasure to the family and little one.

Have fun!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM

it seemed to be raining babies over the summer and fall, so I cut lots of fabric and used the same disappearing nine patch and arranged in different settings. I chose the fabric and I'm a lover of brights and babies respond in a positive way to those colors too!