Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is it called ... >

What is it called ...

What is it called ...

Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 AM

The way I look at it, when you buy a car you take it in for routine oil changes, and any service repairs it may need along the way. An expensive sewing machine is no different. We pay a lot of money for all these fancy stitches and various capabilities, so we need to keep the machine in tip top condition. I just took my Viking Designer Diamond for cleaning and repair. Something is not right with the thread tension, probably in the embroidery unit. When I bought the machine, I got a floor model and an extended warranty was part of the purchase price, worth $450. She tells me everything will be covered. If our washer malfunctions, we call a serviceman to come out and repair it without too much hesitation. After all, we DO need to do our laundry. Well, my sewing machines are an integral part of my daily life so I am more than willing to pay whatever it will cost to keep them in perfect condition. I take each of my machines in yearly to be serviced, usually somewhere around $100 and ask them to notify me if there is any extra charges for any repairs that may be needed.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:41 AM

I took my Janome in for a cleaning/tuneup this year after doing it by myself for about 5 years. I was extremely disappointed by the service. I thought they would go thru and check the whole machine out to make sure it was working properly. It was over $100. My DH had to redo the bobbin tension whe we got it back, the bobbin winder still does not shut off, the alarm doesn't sound when almost out of thread and I had to recalibrate the embroidery stitch. I will go back to my own maintenance or find a recommended shop next time!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:57 AM

I recently had two machines serviced, and my local guy charges $99.95 per machine for a regular going-over. My Featherweight (FW) was new from eBay and since I had no idea of the service history it was well worth it. I bought my Janome from the local guy and had not had it in for service since purchasing it two years ago. I don't think I will bother taking the FW in on an annual or semi-annual basis; as long as I oil and clean it according to the manual I think it will be ok. As for the Janome, I will probably still get it serviced (although I'm using my FW for all my piecing now as it is such a joy to sew on, so the Janome doesn't get used nearly as much).
Old 12-19-2011, 06:47 AM

Sometimes it is just a little piece of lint in the way of the bobbin signal. Just look closely when you have the bobbin and the case out to see if it isn't just lint or thread in the way.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM

Let your fingers do the walking. I recently discovered that Joann's price for cleaning and adjusting is $100, but the nearby Hancock Fabrics charges $40. This Hancocks has a sewing machine technician who comes to the store every other week. He also calls when the job is finished and tells me if there's anything wrong with the machine. So it should help you to call around before you make a decision.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:44 AM

I just had my Brother 1500 serviced. It cost me $74 which I really thought was fair. I've had my other machines serviced for less and I've had them done for me. It depends on the machine and where you take it. Ask around your area to see who is recommended. Talk to the service tech before you leave the machine. Listen to your "red flags" or warnings that we women get when something just isn't right. You should have your machine professionally cleaned periodically depending on the useage of it. If its just a part, maybe they can do it for less. Just ask and get it in writing before you leave the store.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 AM

Smile machine cleaning

I work at a Bernina store in OH, our price for cleaning and oiling is $79.99 and that is if nothing has to be fixed which 9 times out of 10 is the case. Joyce also checks the timing and other stuff which is also in the price. We also have them sent out if they are not Bernina's and the price is the same. Thanks and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:01 AM

I have the same machine and I mesed up the cutter by using 4 layers of denim for a bag.I took it in to Marietta`s in SC and The service tech fixed the thread cuter and completely serviced it and the price was $85.00.In your area it may vary.Atlanta Sewing Center service fee not fixing anything ranges from $75.00 to $100.00.You should check with your LQS.sometimes they have a tech that comes to their shop and services them for a lower price.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 PM

I had the auto threader on my Janome and broke it because I didn't know the needle has to be in the "up" postion by pushing the up button. If you get yours fixed this might help in the future. I just took it off and found I have no difficulty threading needles since I read there is a notch above the eye in all needles so I just push right above the eye and it slips in every time. I haven't bent the auto threader on my new Brother, and it doesn't have an "up" button, so it may be a matter of time. :-)

Originally Posted by miz mary View Post
Ive had this machine about 6 years, and have done about 6 quilts and numerous sewing jobs ..... I have a singer treadle, Kenmore .... and singer touch n sew that I can do the adjustments and cleaning on .. but this is the new plastic machine with the AWESOME push down needle threader ( just misses the needle eye ? ) !!! years ago I inquired , and it was $75...
Old 12-19-2011, 03:17 PM

My service call was $90 - I took my machine in just for cleaning and oil. computerized Brother. My friend has a service guy come to her house for her Janome and paid the same. I didn't know they make house calls! Why don't you call and talk to the service guy to get an estimate.