What happens when

Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 AM

I knew I would get some great feedback from people on the QB. I hadn't thought about some of these ideas and I love the idea of making pj's for kids who need them. I'm sure I will find something to do but it's such a disappointment to find out I don't really like the piecing, quilting or any of the process.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:54 AM

I get tired of just quilting so I make table runners, cassarole holders, pincushion, potholders, aprons etc. I sold most of mine at a craft sale.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:00 AM

I love to make quilts!!! but, I do other sewing activities too. You don't have to give up sewing because
you are not into quilt making. Try making yourself a pair of pants or skirt or blouse or vest. There are
many, many things to do in your sewing room besides quilts.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM

I don't know the name of it, but in German Village there is a craft market (at least there used to be!) in the old school. It is stocked with items handmade by seniors. I've found doll furiture, knitted and crocheted (sp) baby sweaters, doll clothes, PJs for kids. aprons..all kinds of stuff. It might be worth your while to take a ride into town and check it out. Just looked it up... It's called The Golden Hobby Shop at 630 S 3rd. St. Might be just the group of folks you need to meet up with!!

All of us can't wait to retire..then realize what a change in life it is!! Good luck to you!
Old 12-20-2011, 08:20 AM

I enjoy the block making part but have'nt mastered the actual quilting part. Do you like to embroider? You could do redwork blocks and than sew them into a quilt top for wall hangings. Don't have to make bed quilts.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:46 AM

One thing you could do is make pillowcases for kids with life threatening illnesses in hospitals. ConKerr Cancer, (conkerrcancer.org) is a great group. You can make as many pillowcases as you like and through your area coordinator donate them to local hospitals. You could even be an area coodinator is that's somethign that appeals to you. Sometimes after we retired we have time to Give Back and this is an ideal way to do that. If you planned on making quilts you may have accumulated a good size stash that you could use to make the pillowcases. ConKerr Cancer has a really simple pillowcase pattern, or you could get more creative if you like. The is also a nation wide attempt to make pillowcases for kids all of the country, check out the American Patchwork Mag info on the ConKerr website. May in Jersey

Last edited by May in Jersey; 12-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by athomenow View Post
You find out you really don't like quilting? I've tried several times over the past dozen or so years to quilt and always thought I would love it if I could do it when retired. Well now I am and after making a couple of little quilts for the DGD's I've discovered I'm not a fan. I hand quilted one and tied the other and I'm just not feeling like I want to continue. I do enjoy making purses but if i can't sell them I certainly can't do that as a hobby. I need to find something else to do in my sewing room. Just thinking outloud online I guess. This is so disappointing to me because I have to have something to keep me busy or I'll go nuts!!!
You have verbalized exactly what I've been thinking ! I've sewed my entire life; even made my 3 girls not only matching outfits for every occasion; play clothes; prom dresses; outfit for school plays, on and on......took a quilting class earlier this year and have been trying hard to get into it......I was forced to retire because of a heart attck and thought that quilting would be just what I needed....I don't think so anymore. I don't think I have a good eye for colors and composition......I've made 3 quilt tops and am in the process of hand quilting one; just can't afford to send them out for quilting. I have made several denim rag quilts that turned out well. Had bought some fabric with cats on it so I did make wall hanging for my daughter that has the cat.

I taught myself to knit and crochet years ago......knitted tons of sweaters for folks..one year at Christmas I knitted 12....won't do that again ! I picked up my needles not long ago and have knitted a beautiful scarf as a gift; finished a sweater that I started last year and am now teaching myself to knit socks. I think I like knitting better because the "equipment" is not as expensive; plus I have about all the needles I would ever need. I can buy enough quality yarn for a sweater and not have to keep going back for backing, more binding, batting, etc......not to mention the thread !

What I really like about my knitting is that it is portable......can stick a scarf or sock in my purse and knit wherever I have a few minutes....like dr office, after dinner with friends, etc.......just can't haul around a quilt to work on !

AFter the first of the year I'm going to tear apart my "sun room" which is where I keep all my fabric, cutting table and ironing board and re organize my fabrics and maybe put some "kits" together that might help me with color choices, etc.

Good luck to you in finding something that you enjoy, I totally understand. Hope you and your family have a safe and joyous holiday season and Merry Christmas !
Sandy
Old 12-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

if every one liked to quilt there would be no reason for any of us to ever make more than one---how disappointing that would be--
when i was younger every year one of my resolutions was to learn a new craft---i've done basket weaving---3 or 4 different (making rugs) techniques- pottery, ceramics, cross stitch, knitting, crocheting----you get the idea---there are tons of different crafts to try---do some (browsing) find something that interests you and give it a try---after some (experimenting) you will probably -fall into- the one that you love---that consumes you---that you want to do all the time---scrap booking? weaving? felting? .... if quilting is not your thing---try move forward---no crime in that
Old 12-20-2011, 01:55 PM

Just looked at the Concerr cancer site and emailed the coordinator in my area about helping out. I can make these out of flannel and use up some of what I have. Thanks so much to all of you for suggestions. I have knitted but only to make scarves and dishcloths. I have crocheted but can't use any more of that stuff. I have made rag quilts but everyone has one by now. So probably doing something for someone I don't know is the best use of my time. Retirement isn't what you think it's going to be. At least this first year, hopefully I'll settle into my niche soon.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:09 PM

I wonder if maybe you would like to do applique. That seems to be my favourite thing to do. I have done a few McKenna Ryan quilts. I love picking fabric to make pictures.