Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM

I agree with qbquilts. I would also add that if you have quilting sew-ins where you may pay 10 dollars or so for a late night sew on your project time and you can socialize with others....this gets the customer in to your store on a regular basis and who can NOT buy fabric when you gaze upon it for hours while working on your current project?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 AM

All fantastic ideas above. One thing I don't recall seeing mentioned is store hours. I work full-time, and all of the LQS around here close at 5:00 pm, which isn't very helpful in getting my business! I know it's hard when you're a sole proprietor, but it would be helpful to stay open later (maybe 8 pm?) at least one day per week.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM

I opened a quilt shop Nov. 2009 and lost it one year later. I live in NC. I noticed that local guilds do not support local shops. I had great prices and we had great service. It someone came in with a pattern and fabric from another shop but needed help, we would help them. We were just in a depressed area. In the past few months, about 5 quilts shops have closed. I miss the shop very much and have not been able to go to a quilt shop yet. If you do open one I wish all the best.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

The one thing most quilts shops I have been to fail at is in not having a space to audition fabrics and good lighting.
there is one store I frequent and I use their classroom if it is not in use when I am there and the lighting isn't the greatest. If the classroom is busy there is no place to lay out selections for comparison. I know that space costs and when it is filled with product it might sell. As the consumer of fabric, I'm sure I will buy more if I can see and make selections in a way that doesn't involve trying to hold several bolts together in my arms and try to see if they are good together. I like to stand back and look at selections I am considering. I'm sure you will get lots of good input from all the people on the board. I wish you all the best in your adventure.
peace
Old 12-21-2011, 06:17 PM

My quilt shop has great classes and occasionally a free class or two. Friday night Sit and Sew. They sell a ton after hours on Friday nights. They charge 5.00 but have an instructor there for any help you need. I have tried out many new patterns on Friday nights and I do need help! Also a reduced corner where you can get a bargain once in a while.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:38 PM

Best of Luck I certainly give due credit to any small business owner in the economy. But I LOVE quilt stores!!! LOL
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM
RDM

What I like in a quilt store: friendly- helpful- knowledgeable staff, a variety of fabrics that includes lights and darks, good lighting, lots of notions, space to move within the store, and classes. Over time a friendship between customer and staff creates a shared joy of quilting. Train your staff well. I've been in some shops where I felt like I was an intrusion to their day. Talk to other shop owners, check out other stores, get a feel for what works, and if you decide to go for it, have fun.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:39 PM

Well, we had a lady start her quilt shop and she started BIG. The place was too large, lighting was bad and some of the fabric was left in the bags. She had to close up shop in less than a yr. Now some ladies in our quilt groups are trying to start a coop. They are asking for a minimum of 2K. I cannot imagine 10 or more ladies agreeing on fabric. I buy almost all of my faric online. No driving involved, sometimes no shipping and the variety is great. What happens at tax time?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by dixies View Post
I opened a quilt shop Nov. 2009 and lost it one year later. I live in NC. I noticed that local guilds do not support local shops. I had great prices and we had great service. It someone came in with a pattern and fabric from another shop but needed help, we would help them. We were just in a depressed area. In the past few months, about 5 quilts shops have closed. I miss the shop very much and have not been able to go to a quilt shop yet. If you do open one I wish all the best.
I think that is what I fear is that it wouldn't last. We have a great incentive here right now. there are three stores in down town that we could pick from, free rent for a year, $15,000 allowance for renovations and a $3000. advertizement allowance and also free advice on how to start up the business, etc. I think one would work here, I just wish I had the gumption to do it.
I love everyone's ideas. A late night a week is a good thing as I work as well. Free sewing time is good as well. There aren't many shops I go into that I don't spend some money, just have to after seeing all the beautiful fabrics.
Sorry your shop didn't make it.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:54 AM

Fabrics -- yes, but friendly, helpful staff! Classes and a place to meet friends for quilting. Good luck. One of our local shops is closing!