Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-22-2011, 05:23 AM

Good luck - wish I lived closer - I would be your first customer. I do agree, friendliness & customer service are your best assets.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 AM

In store service for machine repair or contact with reliable service repair and maintenance.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:43 AM

I think opening a quilt shop is a great idea if you are one who is willing to help the people that are starting out and have several questions and you don't get upset but willing to help. I have seen where people are treated badly or talked about when they leave a store.
Variety is great too, seems like a few shops don't have fun stuff like decorations (signs and magents, shirts) seems like people like those things also.
Good luck with whatever you plan on doing, we need more great shops.

How exciting!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:45 AM

As an accountant, one of the things you need to consider is hiring a firm to help you, at least quarterly - unless you are really adept at it yourself. I've seen several businesses go right down the tubes from lack of knowing how they are really doing. Money in the cash register is not telling you all you need to know!!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 AM

friendly people, very much like extended family
open sew....does not have to be free, at my favorite LQS it is pay what you can afford (which varies )
good selection of fabric
challenging BOM
at open sew the owner often demos a product, something new or something we have asked about

sewing time for community service i.e. things for local neo-natal i.c.u., foster care, vet. hosp., battered womens center, homeless, and the tiny scraps make pet beds for shelter or pet rescue
Old 12-22-2011, 06:07 AM

Go to http://www.threadsoftimefab.com and check out their store/retreat center. If you have the resources to have a retreat center along with your store it could be the proverbial "golden goose".

Bill and Missi bought and renovated an old nursing home. The front is a fabric store and the back part of the building is a conference/retreat center. Bill also built us a beautiful garden with flowers, trees, rocks, fountains, gazebo, comfy furniture and a grill. We can cook, eat, relax, and visit with friends in a beautiful setting. Many of the customers donated plants from their own gardens so many feel like they're "part" of Mae's Garden.

If you can, come on out to Central Illinois (you might want to wait until Spring lol) and visit the store. Look around and see it for yourself.

Last edited by raptureready; 12-22-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:09 AM

Why not take a road trip east on 36 to Missouri Quilt Company. Those ladies have an extremely successful online and instore quilt business in a most unlikely location.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:14 AM

Good lighting! I agree with the other comments about staff and such, but I do feel that a deep dark shop is not for me. I don't like it when you have to almost go outside or find a window to see what color something is.
A nice assortment of fabric. I don't know what your area has, but starting out with an assorment and then finding your clients nitche(spelling).
Good luck and good for you for going for it.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 AM

The first thing that comes to mind are the employees. Do they actually QUILT???They need to have the passion and experienceto help others (whether they are beginners or experienced) and friendliness goes without saying. They would help with choosing colors, suggesting a pattern that is YOUR level, and other tips.
Samples should be hung on the walls seeing the finished project
A well stocked notion wall with a section of "just in" new items
Shop should be organized and clean with no piles of supplies in the corners
A section dedicated with "gently used items" that ex-quilters have left for consignment including quilting magazines and books
Shop would offer long arm quilting services OR a list of locals that provide the service with examples of THEIR work.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:22 AM

All good advice here. I would add that I love a good remnant bin!