Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Opening a Quilt Shop >

Opening a Quilt Shop

Opening a Quilt Shop

Old 12-22-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with jgriinke about the lighting. Our LQS is great and has most of the good things mentioned but I have to take some fabrics to the window to be sure my selections match. Also, a spacious, tidy and uncrowded shop makes me more comfortable. Everyone has listed so many wonderful ideas---so for it and good luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:31 AM

My sister opened a quilt shop in May - here in SE MI - feel free to send me a private message for more of my detailed thoughts and opinions. Would love to discuss things further with you. Not an easy undertaking in this day and economy - let me tell you.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 AM

As a past quilt shop owner I wish you the best in starting your business. All the things listed above are very good things to consider in starting a quilt shop business but there are a couple more that I feel are very important. The location of your store is very important and the attractiveness of the business or building is important. Samples are important and they need to be made out of fabric you carry. Many people like to buy exactly what is in the sample so kits work well. If making kits I would only make 2 or 3 at a time and if they sell then you can make more. Classes are important and customer service is important. Many people come in to look and many come to buy. You need to let them fee like it is ok to just look. I wish you the best in your business and if there are any questions you want to ask me pm me and I will try and answer them.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:38 AM

I always look for....1. Great customer service, 2. Evening classes, and 3. Organization. I am over whelmed when I have only a foot of space between aisles. It is hard to browse comfortably. The quilt shop closest to me has so much fabric and not enough room to display it so it's always tight!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 AM

I like a shop that welcomes you when you walk in the door....not just the salesperson calling out a "Hi"...but a welcoming attitude. My favorite shops mix in a few old fashioned props for putting a sample on or for on top a shelf...old irons...the old wooden ironing boards...a treadle machine...the old wooden spools of thread in a mason jar. It just reminds me of Grandma's house. A few free sewing times a year are a great bonus.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:31 AM

Everyone has written such good suggestions. I have just a few to add. I really appreciate it when the people in the quilt shop can help me with yardage requirements, i.e. the pattern is written for a double bed and I want to make it larger for example. I also appreciate friendliness. Like several people before me, I quit shopping in the quilt shop locally because the owner is so rude and unfriendly. I love taking classes to learn new techniques. I resent being told I have to buy all my fabric at the shop to take the class. I can't pay astronomical prices, so I look for sales and clearance bargains. A place to sit and rest while shopping; i.e. a table and set of chairs where you can look through pattern books. A wide variety of samples on display that can be made for boys as well as little girls. One local shop caters only to people with girls!!! I have a grandson! Demonstrations to learn new techniques or how to use a new tool! Participation in shop hops is always nice too! I love rewards programs for purchases. Erica's keeps track of all your purchases, so you don't have to worry about losing your punch card. Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:46 AM

My best suggestion is to get the financial/business facts from a shop owner out of your area who is willing to divulge her secrets, including reps, addresses, etc. My partners and I did this and was the best money we spent. My other main suggestion is to remember that it is not play time--you will work long hours. And you must have reliable staff. Plus, I would think at this time a bushel of money. Fabric companies will want cash until you establish a track record. I would think that it will take over $100,000 now to establish a fully stocked store. We did it on $40,000, but that was in the mid-70s. Oh, another thing, never agree to pay a percentage of gross to a landlord. This will take the heart right out of your earnings. Find a location that is easy to get to and has walk-by traffic with NO percentage of gross. If I can help any other way, you can contact me by private message. Good luck.
SandyQuilter
Old 12-22-2011, 01:57 PM

You might want to contact the owners of Threads of Time in Danville IL (Bill and Missi Gouty 217/431-9202) after the holidays. They are running the best fabric shop I have ever been in (and I've been in at least 1 in all 48 contiguous states).
Old 12-22-2011, 03:28 PM

I heard a quilt shop person say that she could not stay in business without classes. I know that the grumpy people have not stayed in business no matter how much fabric they have or how many classes they've offered. One of the stores in my area never has sales but does offer these little "workshops" so you can learn a new technique or see a cute quick apron or purse or something like that to make you want to buy fabric or take a class. Yes, I know it is a gimmick but it always works on me! I say okay I am not going to fall for it but I always do. At Christmas they have candles(the fake kind),music and spiced cider and quick Christmas decorations or gifts and it is SOLD! Actually the owner does not quilt but is a whiz at marketing DUH! She has a great crew of ladies that quilt and teach with lots of samples and lovely fabric. They are friendly, use your name and if they don't know it they ask for it. They are super! I spend way too much money there but it is a lovely experience every time.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:40 PM

I used to own a craft shop when I lived in another state. My philosophy was to make the customer so comfortable that she would stay in the store a long time. I always had coffee and often sweet treats for my 'guests.' There was a table of supplies available for demos and for customers to play with to try new things. I always made a note when a customer wanted something special, and then I ordered it & called the guest when it came in. My mailing list always paid off for the monthly special, and there were classes every week. Also, if there was a price increase on any item and I had both old and new stock in the store at the same time, a customer could buy as many of the item she wanted for the old price. That policy gave me a lot more in goodwill than I lost in the cash. Caring about the customers will keep you in business.