Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-22-2011, 10:50 PM

Love my LQS - as I've already mentioned. It's about 2 miles from my house. Going 60 miles one way or 60 miles the other are some great shops. When they have a sale, I'm very tempted, but have to consider gas and time - a sale isn't such a sale when I factor those in so ... back to the LQS

Went to the LQS today with a friend. You'd think we were the mayor or something. It's a small shop with an office in the loft upstairs. One lady hollered down "welcome" from up there - another was eating lunch in a little cubby in the back - "come on in!" from there. By the time we were 5 feet from the door both those ladies were with us wanting to know if we needed them or just wanted to look around. It just feels so good to go in! Friend didn't buy anything - I spent $7 - you'd think we'd loaded up the truck. Other customers were coming in as we were leaving - and one lady came in and picked up several bags of fabric that she must have selected earlier or called in or something - so it's not like they're desperate when you walk in - they just are helpful, friendly people.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:59 PM

I'm a senior with a very limited budget. I mostly buy at Mardens(local discount store with a lot of fabric) or I shop online. I can buy good quality fabric plus pay postage and still get it for a lot less than I'd pay locally. My budget requires that I save as much as I can or not buy at all.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 AM

I can really understand not shopping at a quilt shop that is not friendly. I have a quilt shop near me, and they always seem less interested in helping their customers than just talking between eachother. The quilt shop I love the most everyone always has helped me pick out fabrics, and always are happy to see me.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM

I have two LQS nearby and I buy every time I go in to support them. WOuldn't like driving two hours to a store. We live in the outlaying county in the country. So I support them and yes I buy online as well from members and many stores who send me discounts, free shipping and great prices. I love going into the LQS's and they know my name. SO much more fun to shop there. And when friends visit and go there with me, I feel special to know where everything is and what they can do for us. Thank you LQS's. Happy HOlidays.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:30 AM

We have a store called the Quilter's Emporium in Minot and the lady there is simply wonderful, very helpful and friendly. I would love to be able to afford her fabrics which are really lovely but we bought a house recently and most of our budget is going towards that so I'll stick with online deals. I was hoping to so some shopping there as my Christmas present but DH bought me a rifle (he volunteers at the hospital a few nights a week and I get nervous out in the middle of nowhere).

Last edited by jeaninmaine; 12-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:51 AM

I buy from my local quilt shop (really not a quilt shop but shop with everything) and the reason why is she gives me a small discount for being loyal.... I really like them there and they are really helpful - but lately, don't feel like quilting or sewing (just a faze).. Trying to use up stash - I do not want to have the most fabric when I die....hehehe
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM

It's online for me. Don't buy much anymore. I will never use up what I have. I try not to ever pay retail. With the prices nowadays it's just too much. However, there is a quilt shop that is 2 hours from me that carries nothing but batiks. I always go with a friend and we spend hours there. She keeps her prices as low as possible. She has a sale once or twice a year and we always try to go. Seems as tho the only fabric I like anymore are batiks. Some of them are so beautiful I could just eat them.............yum
Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 AM

Wish we had a LQS. I buy almost everything online. I do get the best prices and most of the time free shipping. We have a Joanne's but then everybody ends up with the same fabric in porojects/ classes. There's not that much in variety.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

I buy from whomever has what I need.
I like to "sit" and browse and buy, but I really like seeing what I am getting in person.
I do get better bargains online sometimes.
I've notice my LQS has gone up on just about everything.
I know she has to keep current, but she made the comment to me that she went to a show and she must be doing something wrong bc they were selling for 12.00 a yard.
I exclaimed, "Or maybe your doing something right!"
It's been since then that she went up...didn't NEED to...just wanted to.
We quilters need a break too.
I don't have any guilt over where/what I buy. I pay GOOD money and don't bat a lash at looking out for moi, lol!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Loyal to my local quilt shop

I support my local quilt shop. I "shop" on line to find what I want, then I go and ask Melissa to order it for me if she doesn't have it in stock. If I don't support her, she will close and then we will have nothing!!

The Internet supports CHINA. We need to support our own country.

Pat in CO