Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Now that it is almost time to open gifts >

Now that it is almost time to open gifts

Now that it is almost time to open gifts

Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

I like having gifts to open! I expect my kids to devote a little time and effort in what gift I would like. They know I like something as simple as a pretty sea shell found on the beach when on vacation or old buttons from a vintage shirt found at a thrift shop. I can buy the bigger items for myself. I love to hear, Mom I saw this and thought of you. Every year since birth I have given each child a leather bound book of one classic fiction. They are continuing the tradition with the grands adding the newer classics like Harry Potter. The Christmas present book is to be read or read to before the next Christmas. My two kids have each read over 30 classic fictions each and still going strong and that is a great gift to me.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM

We have a deal with our kids, no gifts, spend the money on your children. Well they do not listen well, but they do not buy us things, they make us cookies, fudge, and just a big box of goodies, and we get gift cards so that we are able to go out to dinner, so something nice like that. If we want it, we usually just buy it, so no need to spend their money on us, for stuff. I just wish they would listen completely though.
Old 12-24-2011, 01:59 PM

I save those gifts for a year and use them in the Secret Santa at work. That is why I hold them for a year...just in case!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:00 PM

Move far away from those who give you such gifts. They'll stop giving them to you as they won't want to pay the postage!
Old 12-24-2011, 07:00 PM

We have told out Adult kids that this year is the last year for gifts. From now on we are going to take the money we would have spent on them and pick a family from our "Faith in Action" and buy them the things they NEED! They all told us that is a great idea and they are happy with our decision. Now I am already looking forward to next Christmas, lol.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:19 AM

My kids all know that I don't want more clutter. They give me home made food gifts or jewlery. Now, I have no gifts to store away till they come over.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:16 AM

Would just as soon receive a gift card to a restaurant rather than "stuff" that I can't use or that clutters. Have too much stuff that needs to go as it is.

I have given gift cards to restaurants with great success. My favorite young nephew, off in another state and away from family, emailed me a few weeks after I had left a stack of them so he (living alone) could "treat" himself occasionally. He had already profusely thanked me but this email was special. He told me that he desperately needed to get something for his secretary's birthday and no funds but, there, in his truck were GIFT CARDS! He pulled out one and made this lady very happy. His sharing this with me made me feel wonderful. ULTIMATE REGIFTING when you can share how it helped you out with the original donor!

Last edited by mhollifiel; 12-25-2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
My ex MIL use to give some awful gifts - we would say Thank You take them out of her house in a bag and on the way home drop them off at Goodwill- no sense cluttering up the house with stuff we knew we would never need/ want or use. Just because we didn't like them didn't mean someone else wouldn't
That's why everybody gets cash and a package of socks! LOL This year they got lint rollers too! I went all out, didn't I? LOL

Oh, and by the way, I got nothing in return, which, is ok with me!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:12 AM

My husband and I pre-empted this problem by suggesting each (grown) child in the family who wanted to get us something, make a contribution to Heifer International in our honor. We said we'd add what it took to provide a goat for a desperate family. Between what we received in checks made out to Heifer from his kids and grandkids and my brother and his family, we were able to 'upgrade' to a Llama! Nothing to moooove, store, dust or wonder 'what were they thinking!' when you open it, just a really warm (almost as good as a quilt) feeling for each of us!
If you aren't familiar with Heifer International, check out their website at Heifer International.org. Of course all kinds of charities would serve the same purpose - but we asked for this very early in the year and reminded everyone we were serious around Thanksgiving. Try it... It will likely make you happy too!
Old 12-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

very well said good idea!