Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time >

About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time

About kids and Christmas stockings... and the passage of time

Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM

The boys are still getting stockings! One is married, the other is 34 yrs old, and now the DIL gets one, too. Since they were of legal age to drink, they have gotten a single fancy bottle of beer sticking out of the stocking...they think it's great. they check to see which one each have gotten and sometimes trade. I also shop for retro candy for them...they think it's cool that Mom found PopRocks and Mambo candy for them...Can you see these guys opening Pop Rocks before breakfast on Christmas Morning???
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 PM

We have stockings for everyone - as they marry or have children I make another one. I put a little candy in them and a toothbrush - and sometimes add something else.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:19 PM

My oldest son is 43, and I still hang a stocking for him and all the kids, and grandkids who will be here Christmas. This year there were 11 hanging. I have made 9 of the Bucilla bead/embroidery kits, and have made fabric ones for all my kid's spouses and my grandkids. I do enjoy filling them, and some traditions, I'm just not willing to give up. It does get expensive, and a little stressful, when I can't seem to think of something to put in a particular stocking, but I probably will continue to do it as long as I can physically do it, and God blesses me enough financially that I can.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:57 PM

Only those who are at my home on Christmas morning get a stocking. Each family is responsible for their own stockings, although I usually have something for each stocking. This year our family gift exchange is happening on New Year's Eve. Not Christmas morning, so no stockings.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM

This year I read an article in Martha's Mag. an advent idea a present a day small, till Christmas. I have a 15 year old and a 21 year old still at home so I did the boxes for the 15 yerar old but got the idea to do the 5 grands too. They don't have loads of money so from what I had collected and a few group gifts, box of cookies, candy canes for their tree, etc, I did it for them too. December 24th we have a Party with the family ... The kids said that was the very best because that day they could come to see Nana and Papa. It was not expensive
Old 12-26-2011, 03:44 PM
BMP

When my boys were young I would hang their stockings on their door knobs, when they got up in the morning they were allowed to get their stockings and crawl into bed with Dad and open them while I was downstairs turning on the tree lights and making coffee then they could come down. They said thats one of the childhood things they miss now. I dont do stocking anymore but once we get some grands I will again. I now get a large size gift bag and buy things as I see them and fill them up with things I know they like, fancy mustards, kitchen gadgets, candy, gum, other food items I know they like but dont buy.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 PM

Dh and I are 32... this is the 1st year neither of our moms did stockings. Most years my mom does for dh and I - and might add a something for the kids. Dh mom has started giving everyone one small gift, coloring books, yoyo's etc.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 PM

There are still stockings here and probably always will be. Just can't break the tradition. Had to add another one this year for Malina, our newest granddaughter and my avitar. Christmas was good!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:08 PM

When my son moved into his own place, I stopped filling up a stocking. I was sad that first Christmas but I lived through it. LOL
Old 12-26-2011, 10:24 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My mom puts up my kiddos stocking but usually nothing in it as all her gifts are too big to fit inside anyway... lol... I guess its just a holiday decoration... thats ok, DH, munchkin and I have our own ones here at the house that santa fills to the hilt so I doubt my kiddo feels like shes missing out on anything..