Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die >

Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die

Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die

Old 12-24-2011, 08:42 AM

Look here ....includes a tote!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accuquilt-Go...83101907147801
Old 12-25-2011, 05:35 AM

this is one of my favorite dies. I went out and bought a lot of flannel; cut it and sewed the squares together and so now when ever someone (which is usually at the last minute) needs a quilt I go into my stash, pick out what squares match for that occassion and sew the blocks together and I have a quilt in no time. This makes my life so much eaiser. Sometimes I also applique designs on the back especially if it's for a baby. This way it's like a reversible quilt. Enjoy your toy and for all of you who don't have one; you should get one or get to know someone who does. I know that some of the stores rent their machines for like 20 an hour; if you are prepared you can make alot in an hour.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Shankquilt View Post
I have an Accuquilt Studio and I love it. But I have a question for you. How do you keep the cut edges out of the way when sewing the strips together. It isn't a problem sandwiching the individual blocks but when the blocks are sewn into a row and you start sewing the rows together how do you keep the underneath fringes from being caught in the seam? Maybe I am doing something really wrong but I just can't get that part figured out. I have RA and I really do appreciate not having to cut all those small cuts to make it raggy!
This is easier than you think but if you have a problem you can use blue painters tape to hold them down. Once in a while I've had one to flip to the back then I just cut it but other than that it is really easy to work with.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by sguillot View Post
I have the die and can't wait to use it. I want to make a quilt out of jeans and flannel for my son and I thought that die would save lots of time. After reading this I can't wait to get started but will probably have to be after the holidays. Merry Christmas and a Safe and Happy New Year everyone.
You can also use fleece with this and it makes a nice quilt. It doesn't fray but it curls just a little and is very pretty.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:53 PM

I precut my fabric when I don't have much left and want to use as much as possible or when I want to fussy cut
Old 12-25-2011, 03:16 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love my GO.. Ive got all of the older dies- the newer applique ones dont think Ill ever use... and I have the strip dies but dont use them, i can rotary cut strips faster..
Old 12-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
if I had layer cakes I would trim them down and then use the 1" strip in a strip quilt! why waste your money like that?
Well, the fabric left from the die cut is cut 1 1/2". Why would I cut it first to save 1" when I can let the machine do it and save 1 1/2" ten inch strips? So actually I have no wasted fabric at all and no wasted money either.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Grandma Cindy View Post
I have had 2 die cuts made to order and they hardly cost any more than the normal ones. I wanted to cut at one time the pieces that Bonnie Hunter uses in her Scrap saving System. In the mean time I have had knee surgery but am on the mend. So watch out scraps! Here I come...
Grandma Cindy, where did you have die cuts made to order?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:26 AM

The amount of waste depends on the quilter. My daughter can always seem to get an extra block out of a strip of fabric. She has to really watch her money so she spends more time lining everthing up perfectly to get the most cuts out of her fabric. Me I just toss the extra in to my scrap bin for future projects. So really very little waste. We love my GO!
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Gramby View Post
I just toss the extra in to my scrap bin for future projects. So really very little waste. We love my GO!
Yeah, bigger fabric, more usable scrap pieces! I sometimes bunch a 1/2 yard or more to one side off the die so I won't have to cut the fabric to fit the die. The excess rolls right through. Now that is easy and fast.