Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts! >

2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts!

2012 - The Year of Handmade Gifts!

Old 12-29-2011, 12:11 PM

Two snaps up you GO GIRL
Old 12-29-2011, 12:44 PM

I give a small gift to friends and neighbors each year, and this year it was all home made. Jelly from the berries I picked last summer, Bread from the zuchinni out of my garden and cookies I made for christmas. Wrapped in saran wrap and everyone was tickled pink.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM

I collected "stuff" all my life. Then my husband died and I moved. Two married sons wanted next to none of the things I had been so carefully saving to pass on to them. That was a real wake up call. I married a wonderful widower and we moved to a tiny house. All I brought with me was the quilting stuff. I gave away tens of thousands of dollars worth of "things" that I never used yet kept (and dusted!) Though we have very good retirement incomes, I still shop for clothes in thrift stores. We spend our money on fishing equipment and bait or FABRIC!! We gift with cash or gift cards; crass but welcomed especially in this economy. We don't exchange gifts because we have each other and everything we need.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:18 PM

I agree with everything except the "retreats." I go to Rhodes Grove, PA and bring my own chair on casters and also my Ezi Sewing Table (expensive but an engineering marvel). The food at Rhodes Grove is outstanding - 8 - 12 and 5 for dinner. I have been skipping breakfast because it is simply too much food. We have tons of fun and that is what it is all about. Best wishes to you in 2012.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:22 PM

Which pattern did you use for these? Thanks,glenda

[ my SIL got neck bands with crystals that hold water for mowing the lawn in the summer.]
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM

First, I'd really like to know what the term Boxing Day means. My sister-in-law in England,just referred to it, but I don't know the meaning. So, does it mean getting out and fighting the crowds? Anyway, I have been gifting things I've made to family and friends. They always seem to like them and display them as well.Younger grandkids get a toy.This year I made messenger bags from 100% recycled wool skirts for DGD'S. Both loved them. DIL asked for one for her birthday. I also made mittens from recycled felted wool sweaters. I think family and friends appreciate these gifts more, because they know the time involved and know they have been made with "love" especially for them!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:12 PM

I agree in part, but my philosophy is focusing on needed useable gifts. My D#1S is a great admirer of Steve Jobs so his Bio and a B&N gift card were 2 of his gifts. He's a reader, I'm a librarian books will always be on the gift list. I make gifts and any money spent outside that is for needed or desired and useful things. Hubby needed shoes so money for shopping was what he needed. Frivolous or impulse buying are not a part of the picture. Practical and useful ARE fun in our world!
Old 12-29-2011, 05:35 PM

I made a lot of my gifts this year for Christmas. I only purchased two gifts which were tools to make things for the guys. Three gifts came right from my stash ( 2 ten minute table runners and a casserole tote). I hope to make all of my gifts for next year as well.

I have been going through my projects that I have had lined up to make and they got pushed aside. So far in three days off I have made coasters, a purse, two pillows out of leftover blocks, finished a binding, a wall hanging and almost finished a cover for my kitchen aid. Yet there are still more projects.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Last December (2010) I started baking one thing (cookies, breads, candies) each day starting with Dec 1 and stopped Dec 12 to get things in the mail. That sure worked for me. This year (Christmas 2011) I baked 3 things on Monday & Thursday the first two weeks of Dec; that also worked for me. It also gave me more time to sew/make and trim dish towels and hot pads for 3 girls and make gingerbread placemats for the 6 grandkids. In my sewing group we have shared projects; I made one wonder wallet for each of the girls, they in turn made something for each of us (cell phone purse, flash drive holder, ditty bag, etc.). Homemade...a wonderful concept!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:05 PM

Lyndak, I agree with you. I made my gifts this year as I could not afford to buy as money has been so tight. I plan on making all my gifts again next year too. I'm using my scrapes, which I have plenty of, and have already started a list of projects to work.