stuffing dog pillow/beds

Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 AM

Default stuffing dog pillow/beds

I have read here that you can use up scraps of fabric and batting by using them to stuff pillow/beds for dogs/cats. Does anybody know if it is OK to also throw in dryer lint?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:48 AM

I don't see why not. Just be careful because dryer lint is extremely flammable. You can pitch in some cedar chips also to keep the fleas & bugs from nesting in the bed.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 AM

Cedar chips in the dryer? I'm not sure that would be a good idea. I have made several dog pillows and dog beds. One of my favorite "stuffing" ideas is to use the foam egg carton mattress toppers cut to size. I buy these at garage/estate sales, sometimes thrift stores. I DO NOT place these in the dryer. If they are sewn inside the covering, I hang them to dry after machine washing; but usually I make the covering like a pillow case with an opening in the end or middle of the backside so that the covering can be washed and placed in the dryer and then air the insides in the sun to freshen.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:52 AM

Talking about cedar chips. I bought our dogs new beds from Costco and they had cedar chips in them. Well our dog was scratching and chewing the fur off herself. We ended up at a Animal Dermotoligist and they did allergy tests and she is very allergic to cedar. here I thought I was being so great getting her a new bed. So becareful with the cedar chips some dogs are allergic to them. kjym
Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM

we had dog beds that had stuffing in them and the dogs just ripped the covering apart and strew the stuffing all over. I am not going to put that stuff in my dogs beds again. I tried putting it back the first time and sewed them shut and they just tore them apart again. So now just put a blanket in the box and to heck with the beds. The others have throw rugs, because they tear all the stuffing out and throw it around.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:52 PM

My quilt guild makes pet pillows as a project and we donate them to our county animal shelter. They are made in various sizes and as we are doing a quilting project, all the COTTON scraps go into the pillow cover. We do not put any dryer lint or batting into the pillows. That way whoever gets the pet and the pillow can just wash it and throw it into the dryer without any worries of catching on fire. Also the dryer lint has a tendency to filter through the pillow cover causing dust which some pets are allergic to. So stay with the 100 percent Cotton scraps.