Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM

Pat, your daughter has been through so much and some of it not necessary, which which makes it more difficult to deal with. It's so hard when it's our children. It isgood that you were able to be with her for so long. Retirement does have some benefits. Now her husband and daughter will take over and then she can rest. I will pray for an uneventful recovery for her.

Speaking of children, I am fasting my chocolate to remind me to pray for my son. He traveling ftom W MI to E NJ. Guess where today's storm is. Storms in the mountains are such fun, but at least it's snow and not ice. He's a good driver with a good truck, even with 250,000 miles on it, but it's a still a long 12+ hours for him.

Well, the edited pic of the quilt finally loaded. I am persistant, if nothing else. Here are the almost 100 flying geese you helped me with. The panels were all different sizes so my sashings aren't the same size. The blue/gold Friendship Star is from Dan's high school days. The Tradewinds blocks are because his job blows him all over the US. The center of a Carpenter Star is there because he loved his sister's quilt and couldn't have it. The flying geese are from his childhood - a quilt Grandma made and he wanted. Just took me 30+ years to make him some. The back - 8 years in the USMC. Once a Marine, always a Marine. And, of course, his daughters. The dark haired one graduates this year. I know I should have pieced it more, but I was done! As usual, my camera or computer makes things more pink. There is no pink in it - a red marble FG and a stone FG for his years as a stone mason. Needless to say, my DS was touched and happy. There is one thing I'd change if I could, but as he says, what is, is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	D's quilt.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	299745   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0269.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	299746  

Last edited by irishrose; 01-02-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:53 PM

Irish............beautiful quilt. Wow lots fo flying geese. Prayers for your son to have safe travels.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 PM

Thanks. I'm convinced it was all the prayers that pulled her thru.There were several times when it could of gone either way.She's such a caring,giving person & it hurt to see what she went thru.Hopefully,she'll improve on sched.She'll see surgeon again Fri,then if ok, will be 3 wks to next appt.

Originally Posted by createfourpaws View Post
Pat...........wow you have had a time of things. I will pray for your family. Please keep in touch with us and join us again when you can.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:53 PM

Holey moley where did December go??? I think I lost a couple of weeks there, but I'm definitely in for January. I did manage to lose 4 of the pounds I gained in November, but I still have a looooonnnnnggggg way to go.

Love the quilt irishrose! It looks so cozy. And congrats on being off all the meds, that is wonderful.

Cindy I can't wait to see the purple quilt, the name of it really cracks me up. I don't see any gumballs when I look at it. The tutti frutti one looks really neat too. And thank for taking over the thread, I really need all the help I can get.

I like the idea of cutting back on sodium for a Taboo Tuesday. I know I eat too much, and it's probably part of the reason I'm on blood pressure meds. What about white foods for a taboo? Like things made with all that processed flour with no fiber left in it, or starchy foods like potatoes.

Missy congratulations on both the engagement and the new size. What a wonderful start to a new year.

I know I've missed a lot, I've been away too long. But I WILL do better this month.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM

Thank you. She was weepy when we left,but think it was the tiredness from surgery. & will be better as she gains strength.She's not eating much....Dr told her to eat what she wanted,as much as she wanted.Was thankful to be there when it happened.

BTW....your sons quilt is very nice. Like the Marine fabric on the back.

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
Pat, your daughter has been through so much and some of it not necessary, which which makes it more difficult to deal with. It's so hard when it's our children. It isgood that you were able to be with her for so long. Retirement does have some benefits. Now her husband and daughter will take over and then she can rest. I will pray for an uneventful recovery for her.

Speaking of children, I am fasting my chocolate to remind me to pray for my son. He traveling ftom W MI to E NJ. Guess where today's storm is. Storms in the mountains are such fun, but at least it's snow and not ice. He's a good driver with a good truck, even with 250,000 miles on it, but it's a still a long 12+ hours for him.

Well, the edited pic of the quilt finally loaded. I am persistant, if nothing else. Here are the almost 100 flying geese you helped me with. The panels were all different sizes so my sashings aren't the same size. The blue/gold Friendship Star is from Dan's high school days. The Tradewinds blocks are because his job blows him all over the US. The center of a Carpenter Star is there because he loved his sister's quilt and couldn't have it. The flying geese are from his childhood - a quilt Grandma made and he wanted. Just took me 30+ years to make him some. The back - 8 years in the USMC. Once a Marine, always a Marine. And, of course, his daughters. The dark haired one graduates this year. I know I should have pieced it more, but I was done! As usual, my camera or computer makes things more pink. There is no pink in it - a red marble FG and a stone FG for his years as a stone mason. Needless to say, my DS was touched and happy. There is one thing I'd change if I could, but as he says, what is, is.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:47 PM

cindy-- pls pm me your address- i know i should have it but i'm so disorganized it will be june before i'd find it!

welcome to all the newcomers! so wonderful to have you here! more cheerleaders! and fellow soldiers in the fight against fat! we will overcome!

pat--so sorry to here of your daughter's trials! i hope 2012 turns out to be a healthy and happy year for her!

irish- the quilt is phenomenal! and so personal for your son! it is a work of art!

jeanne-- welcome back! i have missed you and worried about you!! glad you are here again!!

Welcome back to all of you who took time off!! the holidays are hard times to lose weight! i had lost 5 and overnight gained 6! i blame it on a new medication and the 2 ingredient fudge recipe! (divine!)

Last edited by nancia; 01-02-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Default Encouraging and rough day

Today has been rough for both me and Lucy (my chihuahua) neither one of us has felt good. I am having some big time sinus issues and poor Lucy appears to have a stomach flu. I will be taking her to the vet tomorrow.

the appetite has been down, not eating too much, just makng sure I am eating the right stuff. I did good for dinner, my brother who is now cooking for all of us make quesadias with shrimp and chicken. I was only able to eat 1/2 of a 7 inch quesadia......but had some fried corn nuggets, then some strawberries for dessert.

On a positive note, I did get the purple batik fabric washed today, now to iron and cut. I will take a picture of the fabric for you all to see.

So what is everyone working on???

Remember you are in control of what you put in your mouth and what you do.

Drink your water, eat your fruits and veggies and remember to do some type of movement.

KEEP Up the good work.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:13 AM

Prayed for each request as I read them. When son driving truck to E NJ gets here, he will only be cold, our sky is clear. Enjoyed the pics of completed quilts.

I have to search each time to find this group. Wish I knew how to have it be a group I have joined. Not sure that comment/question? makes any sense.

Plan to keep eating low carb/fat today.

Jeannette in NJ
Old 01-03-2012, 04:27 AM

Can't make the deadline for January, but will certainly do February, keep me posted.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 AM

Taboo Tuesday~
This week lets watch out TABLE SALT & salty snacks. Like MJ said they hold water & keep the weight on us that way. Do the best you can and be proud of every NSV however small.

I am fighting a cold or something now, don't you hate hospitals? Pat, I am so sorry to hear about you daughter. That is what we thought my DH had last week end. He has had that surgery twice in his life...they say it comes back again & again.