Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your newly completed quilts? >

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Old 01-04-2012, 03:30 AM

I always wash my complete quilts, though there haven't been too many completed, lol. thank goodness, I've never had any problems -- no unsewn seams, no bleeding, etc.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:19 AM

I also wash my quilts afterwards for many of the same reasons stated here. Even though I don't like a crinkly look on myself I love the crinkly look on them but also because of possible allergies and possible dye runs but I like to give my quilts a good head start depending on where they are going to find a home. I also think that it makes the quilts softer and more cuddly. I use quilt wash that I found at JoAnns and bought on sale for 50% off and I had additional discounts on top of that. It is fragrance free dye free and concentrated. It comes with a spoon for measuring out and it only takes like 1/2 teaspoon for a full load of quilts. The jar was originally $10.00 I think I ended up paying around $4.50 plus tax, and I have washed close to a ton of quilts and fabrics with it and it is still over half full.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 AM

I always wash my quilts when I am done. IMO the quilt isn't "done" until it's gently washed.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM

I use about a cup of vinegar along with abut 4 color catchers and a small amount of detergent. That takes care of the bleeding issues and I get that marvelous crinkly look!!

I always tell everyone that I gift - that the quilt has been washed and is ready for use !
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I always wash a finished quilt....it washes out any starch, chemicals, stitching marks, oils from my hands ....it also may help to show any areas that need attention such as seams coming unsewn, threads to be clipped, etc.
Same here. I always wash finished quilts.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ditto. Buckeye Rose stated every reason I wash a quilt. Plus, I like the crinkly look.
Ditto #2. I too use all those reasons and I like the crinkly look as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:39 AM

Since I use a lot of starch and School glue for the bindings - I wash a quilt before I give to away.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:16 AM

I wash my Quilts so the person recieving them can use the right away and it gives them a nice look too. I don't wash my fabric's before I start either I just check them for running in color.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
I have never washed before gifting the quilt- don't want anyone to think I am giving a used/second hand quilt And yes they all know I quilt and am making a blanket for just that special occasion, but still feel funny about it ..... Like after I wash it- it is no longer "new"
I can't imagine that anyone would think of a quilt as used because it was washed first. I always wash first, for many reasons, except for a silk tie quilt I made as a gift.
I love the crinkles and I want to see what the quilt looks like really finished. It's not a quilt til it's been washed and it's definetly not a blanket. Making something by hand puts fabric in the way of all sorts of stuff - dust, dog hair, machine oil, threads and all the manufacturing process of the fabric. One woman in our swap group went on and on about the rats running across the fabric and you don't know where it's been. Not buying that, so I don't wash before, but I do after construction.
Judi
Old 01-04-2012, 06:58 AM

I wash because I want to see how it will look after it is washed.