Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you wash your newly completed quilts? >

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Do you wash your newly completed quilts?

Old 01-04-2012, 07:14 AM

I prewash fabric and I wash my quilts. Those I give away, I suggest they wash them before using their new quilts especially the ones for newborns.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:25 AM

I do not wash the quilt after I finish it. I don't use starch or spray glue or regular glue in the construction. It either goes right on the bed it was made for or out to the person it was made for. I pre-test any suspicious fabric before construction so I don't worry about bleeding. I have never had any seams unstitch, so I don't worry about that either. No one I made quilted things for have any allergies, so that is also not a concern, but if there was allergy concerns that might be a consideration....If it is "my" quilt, it probably won't get washed for at least a year, just air dry or fresh air dry along the way.... BTW, I have a wallhanging that is still on a wall that was made over 10 yrs ago....never washed, just aired out yearly....not tired of it yet, but when I do, I will replace.........Have seasonal ones that I change off yearly and they to just get airfluffed........We each do what we are comfortable with
Old 01-04-2012, 08:31 AM

When I do wash quilts it is with ORVUS.......purchase at Farm&Fleet here. It is a liquid soap used to wash the "sensitive areas of cows" it is very gentle. It is basically the same liquid soap that I have seen in some quilt shops-a small jar for almost $10, whereas I can get a jug of this for less...........a capful or two in the washer on gentle and no harm done to quilt.............
Old 01-04-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Judi in Ohio View Post
One woman in our swap group went on and on about the rats running across the fabric and you don't know where it's been. Not buying that, so I don't wash before, but I do after construction.
Judi
Actually, this IS possible, according to another forum I belong to. A fellow forum member is a quilter and works in the shipping industry. She said the ships that bring over the fabric oftentimes have rats, so the contents are exposed to rat feces. It was in a thread debating the pros & cons of pre-washing fabric - obviously she was pro-wash, lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 AM

Always, I like the look after washing.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM

two cats and a dog who love to help me quilt and also it is my final test. makes sure nothing coming apart.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 AM

I wash before gifting.... for most of the reasons already listed. But mostly because I like the quilt to be soft and cuddly when it is gifted.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:22 AM

I always wash after quilt is finished to wash out marks chemicals and other stuff I rarely prewash unless I am doing large applique rule is if you prewash wash all if you dont dont wash any!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM

I always wash a finished quilt. Hands have a lot of oil in them so I have to get that out plus all the other things used in creating the quilt.
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
I always wash after quilt is finished to wash out marks chemicals and other stuff I rarely prewash unless I am doing large applique rule is if you prewash wash all if you dont dont wash any!
Wait - check this out! I recently learned this is how Sharon Schamber (Master Quilter and winner of numerous awards) does her applique. She washes ONLY the applique fabric. She does NOT prewash her background fabric. She appliques her pieces using a very tiny straight stitch at the edge of the fabric. When the applique is done, she washes the top. The background will then shrink, which pulls the edges of the applique in and under the shape, thus hiding the stitching from view. I have yet to try this (I keep forgetting to not prewash my background fabric) but it definitely sounds intriguing!