Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan? >

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Do You Buy Fabric With/Without a Plan?

Old 01-04-2012, 04:47 PM

I'm with you Ms. Mare. I buy what I like. Take your JoAnn 50% off coupon and buy a couple yards a month.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM

i buy fabric for no reason other than i like it. when i purchase for a project, i often choose from my stash rather than what i bought. fabric is my weakness.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
YES!
i buy fabric with and without a plan- if i want it and can afford it i buy it- sometimes i have a plan- sometimes not-
This is how I do it. However, I used the "newbie" line as to why my stash was very small, amazing how quickly it grew and I am no longer sure what all I have! Just mentioned today that I need to slow it down, no more room at the inn. But it's so much funnnnnnn......
Old 01-04-2012, 07:37 PM

Since I usually buy fabric at garage sales or thrift stores, I rarely have a particular quilt pattern in mind. It's a good thing that I prefer scrap quilts.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:12 PM

I always plan to use any fabric I buy. I don't always have a specific pattern in mind though.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM

I buy what I like. That gets me thinking about what I want to do and then I get excited about doing something. So its the fabric that drives me. Not so much a particular project that I plan for. I dont like to have too much around, but I love fabric so I always have too much. lol...
Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM

When a fabric just hits me, I buy it usually with no idea what I will be using it for. Now that I am on a (senior)limited budget, I am using up a lot of my over 300 bolts of fabric. I used to buy whole bolts at a time. Not so much anymore
Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 PM

I buy now with a plan, in the past I just bought because I liked it and have found when I've been trying to use the fabrics now I didn't buy enough!! I used to buy 1/2 yard of each print....not that I don't like wall hangings but I love quilts to cuddle under! so advise min. buy 2 yards if your buying for later....might help some addictions because that will add up fast with prices today..
Old 01-04-2012, 11:15 PM

I buy without a plan about 85% of the time. The first place I look when I stop in any fabric store is in the remnant bin. I bought 1/2 to 1 yard lengths to build my stash, which has grown to a good size. Like others I buy fabric that I like and just have to have! I use my 40% off coupon at Joann's about twice a month and try to keep my fabric purchase under 3 yards at a time. I also check for usable fabric at thift stores and garage sales. I'm afraid I've acquired the fabric addiction! I have made a resolution for this year not to buy any more fabric until I make a dent in my stash. Like the idea of cutting some of my smaller pieces into 2 1/2" strips as this might inspire me to use some of this fabric instead of just storing it!
Old 01-04-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Used to which was very stupid and wasteful, look how many members de-stash, presumably at a loss,so why do it?