Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I won a raffle quilt.  Would everyone hate me if I sold it? >

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

I won a raffle quilt. Would everyone hate me if I sold it?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:58 AM

The quilt is yours to use as you please. If the quilting group that made the quilt wishes to control the fate of the quilt, they should not be raffling quilts. I'm sure that many people who buy raffle tickets do it for a good deed to benefit the sellers , not necessarily because they love the quilt. Are they obligated to use the quilt on their bed? Do as you wish and blessings on whatever you decide to do!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:03 AM

As I once was told by another quilter here on board IT is now yours to do with as you please!!!Don't worry about what others think it's yours. Good luck on what you decide!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

It's no one's business what you do with the quilt. The quilt was made to make money and it did. It's purpose to the guild was fulfilled.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52 AM

I would tell you to sell it....but...if you donate to a charity a portion of the money, the guild will feel better about the sale. I wouldn't tell the guild the amount of the sale or the amount that was donated...that doesn't need to be bandied about.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:35 AM

A few years ago I won a quilt that was beautiful but didn't fit any of my beds. I had made all my family quilts so when I found one of my friends daughter had cancer I decided to offer it to her. She has told me many times how she dragged it to all her chemo treatments and how much the blanket of love meant to her !
Old 01-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
It is yours to do with as best suits YOUR purposes. I understand the quandry you are in but, do with it as you need to. I had a quilt that was raffled, and the winner only bought a ticket to support the cause and had no interest in the quilt itself. She donated to the person who bought the most tickets, as she felt they really wanted the quilt.
That was an excellent idea. Some one really wanted that quilt and it is a shame when some one gets it , that doesn't really want it.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:16 PM

I'm going to say "ditto" to doing as you please with the quilt. If it was a raffle for a car, and you didn't drive, would you feel bad about selling it? Probably not, but with the quilt you might because friends worked on it. If those who worked on it would be "disappointed" it's their disappointment, not yours. The tickets were sold to benefit the guild; what happens to the quilt, or any other raffled item, should not be their concern.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

I would sell it and not mention it again to your friend. This was not a gift so I don't think you owe anyone an explanation.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:27 PM

It is yours, you won it. Do what you like with it. The guild that raffled it made their raffle money with the quilt, which was their objective, so they have no reason to complain about what happens with the quilt once it is raffled (though don't be surprised if they DO complain - and I would think about that before sharing that info with any guild members).

If getting money for it is your primary objective, then sell it. If you are not concerned about the money, then you have a whole host of other options and there are many fine suggestions here.

You did not seek advice as to what to do with the quilt, just whether or not it would be "bad" to sell it. I say no, it is not bad. It is yours to do with as you please. (and you don't need to pay sales tax on it - you wouldn't do that if you were selling any other used item!)
Old 01-05-2012, 12:42 PM

You won it, you can sell it. It did what it was supposed to do for the quilt group, which is raise money, what would they care where it went? I would sell it.