Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Question - >

New Question -

New Question -

Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I guess I am in the minority because I use the blade sharpener and while it isn't the cat's meow, it does smooth out the blades for a while longer.

What I don't use are many of my rulers, the Gingher pinking sheers (waaaaay too heavy), the wooden mini-iron (what a knuckle burner), the lighted magnifying glass that hangs around the neck and neither lights nor magnifies. (Should have sprung for the expensive one.) and the cutting mat on a lazy Susan. For a while I also thought I would get into marking with stamps so I have a nice assortment of stamps cluttering up a drawer. Heavy sigh.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by happymrs View Post
My DH bought me one of those quilting calculators, I never figured out how to use it, so it's in a drawer somewhere, lol!...
I bought one and never used it. Sold it on Ebay.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by onaemtnest View Post
Please do share how to properly use the rotating cutting mat...I have one and was looking forward to using it and knowing me "operator error" could easily be my middle name :0)
When you get you rotating mat there is a black "protector" on the back. Remove that and it will turn easily. I do put the "protector" back on when I store the mat. I use mine for cutting small pieces as it does "sag" toward the outer edges so you will want to stay in the middle.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:00 PM

I would have to say the angler tool, easier to do it myself!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:21 PM

I love this thread. So many gadgets listed are either ones that I've tried or ones that I've considered. I, like another quilter on this thread, have to claim the Accuquilt Go and many strip cutting dies in various sizes as my worst. When I started quilting last year, I had to have it, but since then I've discovered the June Taylor slotted ruler and that works so much better for me. I ought to post the cutting dies for sale because as it is, they are just sitting around in the special little die holder. (I like the die holder )
Old 01-06-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy Osterby View Post
I made the mistake of buying one of the ring holders for my rulers. You have to take all the ones in front off to get to the one you need. Now I use it to hold stencils. What a waste.
Kathy....I use a shower ring holder for stencils and for some rulers...works great as you can swing it around to take out what you need..
Old 01-06-2012, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Digitizingqueen View Post
I think my least fav items are - ruler with a lip to hang onto the end of the table (threw it away), a ruler in a bright florecent color (Bright neon yellow) someone told me fabric would show up better etc I hate it. I also hate anything made by fiskers seriously htere stuff is garbage the rotery mats dull your blades and most of the scissors dont last ...
I have been using the same pair of Fiskars scissors forabout 15 years without problem. And for over half that time, I cut and sewed everything by hand!
Old 01-06-2012, 01:50 PM

I bought an Accuquilt Go Baby that I don't think I will ever use for quilting. I'm going to give it for my DD. I would rather cut my pieces with a rotary cutter.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 PM

Smile

I'm thinking of buying a brother from wal-mart. But it will be used to take to guild meetings. My Janome is just too heavy to take to and from. That will be the only time I'll use it. That's probably what those lady's do that bring them to lessons.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM

Why don't you sell it? What is it anyway?