Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Designing new sewing studio--have I forgotten anything? >

Designing new sewing studio--have I forgotten anything?

Designing new sewing studio--have I forgotten anything?

Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by katybob View Post
If you've got room for it, a comfortable chair for when you're doing handwork.
This was going to be my suggestion, bc I've been re-doing my room and having space for the grkids is essential, so I can sew while they color or watch tv. I'm sure you spaced your furniture for plenty of movement.
That's what went by the way with my room. It was clean and organized but I felt I couldn't move around easily.
Good luck and can't wait to see. Show me yours, I'll show you mine
Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM

extra shelves above your door & windows. I have them all the way around my whole room & keep my batting & fleece there. I also put dowels along the edge at a slant to hang things on plus coffee cup hook hangers works great also on the edge of the shelves. A peg board is also wonderful for hanging things on & you can even put small dowels in them for your thread.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Jeanne, thanks for mentioning the vanishing design wall. I had no idea there was such a thing. But for those of us who have limited wall space this is just the thing. I think this would be easy to build yourself. I am give it a try myself.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 AM

Your studio sounds great and you've thought of most everything. I can't do without my racks to display spools of thread and bobbins so I don't have to dig for the color I may want to use.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 AM

Hi all,
I too am setting up a new quilting/sewing room. But I have a different problem. Can you help? I have two rooms: one was my girls' bedroom and it's almost twice the size of my sewing room. I've decided it's ridiculous for me to be in the little room when the other is so large. Here's the problem. I have a small hallway and I need to move the two beds from the big room to the smaller room, and the sewing desk, etc to the big room. But there is no room to put things in the hallway while I'm moving things back and forth. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 AM

Thanks, everybody for the advice. I am taking it all into consideration, and especially rethinking some of my storage and lighting plans. This will be an ongoing project--can't afford to do everything at once. But will post pictures as soon as we get the bedroom furniture out.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by cindyg19 View Post
Hi all,
I too am setting up a new quilting/sewing room. But I have a different problem. Can you help? I have two rooms: one was my girls' bedroom and it's almost twice the size of my sewing room. I've decided it's ridiculous for me to be in the little room when the other is so large. Here's the problem. I have a small hallway and I need to move the two beds from the big room to the smaller room, and the sewing desk, etc to the big room. But there is no room to put things in the hallway while I'm moving things back and forth. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
If you can take the beds apart and lay the mattress and box spring against a wall that would open up some space and then maybe you could swap one piece at a time. I just purchased one of those furniture moving products advertised on TV. I got mine at Bed bath & Beyond. It is going to get a work out soon as we are moving soon.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:54 PM

I have had the opportunity to have two different sewing/quilting rooms. The thing I enjoy the most and it was my husband idea is an island cutting counter. We used two base cabinets back to back. I had roll out shelves installed in them at each end. The cabinets are kitchen counter height and the counter top is 4'X5' with rounded corners. I have enough over hang that I can pull up an office chair, raise it up and work there if I need to. I use this island for so much more than sewing. It was great for wrapping Christmas Presents. I have a large white cutting mat on top of the counter and we just used the rotary cutter to cut the paper. My room is 11x 14, I also had a closet made with 10 foot long shelves. There are 5 shelves that are 12 inches deep. I had mirrored doors 6'x6' installed in the closet. They make the room seem much bigger. If you would like pictures let me know. It is not fancy but very functional.
I also have a 13 foot long counter with 3 knee holes. I use one for my computer and the other two for two of my sewing machines. The two cabinets between the knee holes have a top drawer front that drops down. It has a pullout top where I can put a cutting mat on one side and a pressing mat on the other. Saves many steps in the quilt block making process. Hope you love your room as much as I love mine. I am in there everyday.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 PM

I love the roll out shelves idea!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM

where will you put your sewing machine (or Machines meaning more than one)