Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making the ugliest quilt ever! >

Making the ugliest quilt ever!

Making the ugliest quilt ever!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 PM

If you haven't washed your top yet then I wouldn't do anything to it. I never prewash anything and wash my quilts once they are quilted. That way everything that is going to shrink does so at the same time so there is no puckering.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:04 PM

Default Ugly is as ugly does, but not always.

I made a OBW from the ugliest fabric I had ever seen. Brown with faded looking flowers. Just awful!!! Figured I'd give it to a daughter in-law as brown and faded is just her thing. Won a blue ribbon on it at the county fair. It's lovely and guess who's not getting a quilt?

You might be very surprised. Particularly with those nice big blocks, you can highlight it with a collage of template quilting patterns.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 PM

I don't think any quilt is ever ugly,wait till its finished.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM

I love making quilts completely from my stash. It makes me feel so resourceful, and they all turn out better than I imagined. Hope you post a picture.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:27 PM

No one is afraid to use an ugly quilt. The prettiest ones are the ones that get put away because the recipients are afraid to ruin it.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Our daughter received a quilt from my mother. It had no particular pattern, The squares and rectangles were sewed together every which way. I think they were partly made from my deceased grandfather's clothes, but it had a backing of heavy weight gray striped flannel. She looked at it and thought, I do love my grandmother, but why would she send me that ugly thing. The quilt was put up out of sight until someone needed an especially warm cover. Out came the ugly quilt, and the sick snuggled down into it in comfort. The ugly quilt was never put away again. In fact, there have been many sibling fights over the ugly qulit.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM

I applaud you! You probably will end up enjoying this quilt!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mauck View Post
I have decided to use up some stash so that I can make room for more stash. Out with the old and in with the new. So I have started the ugliest 10" square scrappy flannel quilt there is. My husband is 6' 5" tall and I never have a quilt big enough to keep him completely covered. He wanted something warm for winter and that would cover the bed all the way to the floor. I told him him that it wouldn't have any sort of a pattern to it and he said he did not care. So it is on it's way I really think it's ugly but I told him I could make one out of my stash of flannel. It will be 10" squares front and back and tacked together. I even have the batting in my stash. I think this may be the first think I have made that I won't have to buy anything else for.
A few years back I decided to get rid of some bits and pieces of yarn. Some balls were very short-------barely a yard or so. I set my sights on a granny square, using the smallest pieces as centers. I finished up the blocks by using some larger amounts of white, off white, light gold, dark gold, beige and tan. I finished up the border using what was left of those colors after the squares were completed.

IT WAS BEAUTIFUL! Simply beautiful. It's now in my DD's guest room.

At any rate, you may end up with a very attractive quilt when you're done!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM

Good for you!! Keep u's updated on it's progress
Old 01-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Have you thought about doing a rag quilt. That way you wouldn't have to tack it. You would machine a "X" in the middle.