Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem with walking foot 2 >

Problem with walking foot 2

Problem with walking foot 2

Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM

Default Problem with walking foot 2

I was unable to post the picture of my problem on an earlier post so here it is.
SORRY, CAN'T UPLOAD THE FILE.
I have a brand new singer heavy duty machine and it is working fine except when I try using the walking foot to quilt (I am a brand new quilter), I am getting little wrinkles as I would expect if I didn't have a walking foot. Now it could be me and the way I'm cutting, sewing etc. except for one thing. As I was trying to stitch in the ditch (I'll never get this one to work) I noticed that the walking foot was leaving a mark in the material itself. I have taken a pic of it and I think you can see what I mean. This mark does not rub out. Any ideas what is causing it? I'm having a problem uploading the picture I took. I will continue trying but to discribe it, it looks like a groove right next to the sewing line, about 1/4 of an inch wide.

I am waiting for a call back from the dealer who sold me the sewing machine. But if anyone has seen anything like this before, let me know.

Last edited by hildebrandtjane; 01-05-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

Is it a material with a nap like velvet, minky, flannel etc? If not, are you able to dial down the pressure on your foot? Maybe it is pressing too hard. Check the bottom of the foot to see if there is a ridge on the bottom or a rough spot. I can't think of anything else maybe someone else has a similar machine and can help.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:18 PM

Is the walking foot made especially for your machine? Last year I bought a generic walking foot & it left a little dusty grease trail on my white fabric. The only way I got the marks off the fabric was to use dish washing liquid that had bleach in it. Of course, my fabric was white, and I wasn't too afraid to use that. I returned that walking foot to the fabric store. I went to another store and bought a Brother walking foot that would fit my machine. It was explained to me by the Brother dealer that walking feet are made to match the machine's dog feed to work together to feed the fabric through, and a generic foot may not work because it doesn't match up and your fabric may bunch. Anyway it cost me more money to buy that walking foot, but it solved my problem.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 AM

Thanks for the help, I'm sending the walking foot back and getting a new one from the dealer. I specifically asked for a singer made for my machine. Hope this works. Now all I need to do is wait. I hate waiting....thanks again.