Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Just got a tip. >

Just got a tip.

Just got a tip.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:31 PM

we have 3 walmarts one doesnt sale fabric, the other 2 used to so they brought fabric back not to long ago ,one of the stores has about 6 bolts of the uglies silk fabric ( that is there fabric department stuck in with the crafting isle) the other store went from a full service department with lots of notions and fabric to one isle of fabris with some cotton the rest is flannel, and ect but not good quality it is so sad , i also noticed there prices are way more exspensive than Joanns
Old 01-07-2012, 12:45 PM

Are Walmart only has fat quarters, some yarn and notions, that is it.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe View Post
We, in Denton Maryland, are finally getting our very own Wal Mart!!! Hopefully by this summer. They have just broken ground after 10 yrs of promise. It is going to be a Super and I am praying that they will have a fabric department. Nearest fabric is in Easton Md at 20 miles away. Nearest Joann's is 26 miles away. With gas and fabric prices up I would rather spend money on fabric! LOL
Prayer is wonderful, but sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Try to get some friends together and write a letter requesting that they carry fabrics and other good craft/sewing items. It appears the management at each store have some say in what is carried. Bottom line is the bottom line. If they think they will make money carrying something, they will stock it. So find everyone likely to shop there to sign your letter/petition and see what happens! Money talks. (And if they pray too, it can't hurt.)
Old 01-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Our WalMart took out it's fabric dept. at about the same time as JoAnn's closed here in Oneida, NY. what a bummer. Due to popular demand, Walmart has returned it's sewing dept. I haven't checked out the quality of fabrics yet, but glad I can run to someplace close by in a pinch. JoAnn went over half hour away!!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM

my store doesn't have fabric....booo!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM

Our Walmart has expanded their fabric dept some, but no deals on fabric.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Our Walmart has fabric and I have told the managers I appreciate it. I also told them not to expect a gigantic increase in sales quickly, because quilters had to stock up at other stores when nothing was available at Walmart, and are still using their stash.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 PM

Angry Super Walmart

Originally Posted by Lois-nounoe View Post
We, in Denton Maryland, are finally getting our very own Wal Mart!!! Hopefully by this summer. They have just broken ground after 10 yrs of promise. It is going to be a Super and I am praying that they will have a fabric department. Nearest fabric is in Easton Md at 20 miles away. Nearest Joann's is 26 miles away. With gas and fabric prices up I would rather spend money on fabric! LOL
Our Super Wal Mart in Saskatoon, has a lot less merchandise than it had as a regular Wal Mart. The fabric is just fat quarters & some a bit larger pieces. But the quality is pathetic & it doesn't look like we'll get our fabric back. I don't knit but my sister does, & even the yarn is awful.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM

Our wal-mart got it's fabric back. But, sadly, finding someone to cut it is a pain in the butt. It's almost always unmanned. So, I'm spending my money online and having it shipped to me for convenience or give my business to JoAnn Fabrics.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:52 PM

Hi Nancy in NC. I am in Salisbury, NC and our WM brought back their fabric department after getting rid of it for two years. What a mistake that was since the nearest fabric store to us is also about twenty miles away. But my husband and I go out of town at least once a week just to ride around and hit the Goodwill and Thrift stores, many of which are near Hobby Lobby. I love to search through their remnants for 100% cottons and usually find some. The other night I found five different fabrics, one yard or a little less of each. Great price reductions for wonderful quilting fabrics. Many times I don't have an immediate use for a particular color or pattern but I buy it anyway for my stash. It has come in handy many times. Perhaps if you and your friends contact corporate Walmart and request a respectable fabric department that has more than precut bundles and fat quarters, they might consider it. Who knows? It's worth a try. We did that when WM closed our fabric department. Can't be sure if that had anything to do with them reinstating it in our store.