Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a fair price of fabric? >

What is a fair price of fabric?

What is a fair price of fabric?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM

I live in australia and all our fabric is between $20.00 to $28.00 a metre. I would like to buy here in Australia to support our economy but if I did I wouldn't be able to sew the fabric that I like. I go to my local quilting shop and look at the selvage and find out what the fabric and maker is then google it when I get home on the internet. Even with postage it is cheaper than buying here locally. I can't wait to visit the US one day I am going to be in fabric heaven.!!!!!
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM

If you just type in fabric.com and coupon or coupon code into a google search engine, you can find those coupons...retailmenot often has coupon codes that work.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM

I think that once you get your stash started and learn what you want/need for your projects, you will notice more opportunities and be in a position to take advantage of them. I shop garage and estate sales, as well as trade fabric with my guild friends. Today I traded 2 rolls of furry fleece that I got for $5/roll at a custom costume store close-out with a friend for a pile of wonderful quilting fabrics. She had also been to the same store sale and purchased furry fleece. Now 6 months later she has found someone wanting to buy a bunch of the stuff, so asked me if I had any to sell to her. I suggested a trade for quilting fabric. It was a win/win situation, and I left with at least $100 of beautiful fabric. She said she felt like she was the big winner.

Building a stash is so much more fun when you can do it with the help of friends!

Dayle
Old 01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
Power Poster

We also have a classified section here that has good buys http://www.quiltingboard.com/items-sale-trade-f20/

Check back often as the sales change often - I also shop Joanns for the sales, Hancocks - haven't been to Hobby Lobby in a while, and of course my LQS . Very seldom do I pay full price. Good deals are to be had- you just have to watch for them
Old 01-06-2012, 08:28 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Remember also that it's often possible to make a marvelous quilt using just a little bit of one (expensive) focal fabric and lots of (less costly) coordinates and blenders. Sometimes it's worth splurging on one beautiful fabric and then averaging your costs down on the rest.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 PM

I shop at http://bnpquilts.com/ love that shop...awesome sales. I do not pay shipping since I live an hour away...but they do have great prices for shipping in the US and international.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:33 AM

id feel comfortable buying from fabric.com ive bought from there several times and never gotten anything even slightly disappointing as a matter of fact its been better than the photos online i even bought more because i used it all and wanted some for myself ))). theyre prices are pretty good and they often have sales as well.
carla
Old 01-07-2012, 08:42 AM

I always look for sales online. Fabric.com and others have free shipping if you buy a certain amount. I have not been disappointed with my purchases. LQS have the overhead to pay and everything is going up!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:51 PM

Thanks everyone! I have about $100 worth in my cart on fabric.com...oops. lol I am going to go to my local stores first and if I can't find the colors I am looking for, then I will order online.

Has anyone ordered from Esty? It is name brand fabric and seem to be priced the same as other stores.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 PM

I have had good luck with buying from fabric.com though I get more apparel fabric from them than quilting. I just got a decent deal ($5-$7) from Keepsakequilting.com but the bargin bin didn't have a large selection...