Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thimble help please!! >

thimble help please!!

thimble help please!!

Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

I think it's listed as Spider Works W'nder Thimble (not Wonder) Amazon has these.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the correction. That's the thin one that is used on the finger underneath the quilt. I was looking for the thicker one that has ridges that you use on the finger pushing the needle. Angel found some for me online and I ordered them all!! I plan on trying out some of the others that people have suggested so I'll be ready when I wear these out. the Clover one looks like my first try.

Thanks so much to everyone.

BJ
Old 01-10-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I just tried to google this timble to see what it looked like and came up empty! If it's what I think it is, I believe JoAnn's used to carry them??? Had I seen this post earlier this AM I would have looked for you while I was there this AM. The only other suggestion I have for you - as a fellow hand quilter - is to try the Thimblelady plastic thimbles. They are open ended and fairly cone shaped. The dimples are quite deep. And the plastic ones are VERY reasonable. It takes a bit to get used to pushing with the pad of your finger vs. the tip but I find it far more comfortable. I tried the plastic ones first to see how I liked the fit and method. I've since graduated to the stainless steel version which, I think, is still pretty reasonable. Their fitting instructions are right on the money. I've worn holes in the dimples of both the plastic and the s/s (believe it or not). But I do find them very easy to use, comfortable to wear and a good bang for the buck. JMO.
Before I began hand quilting, I got the book and DVD for The Thimble Lady - her technique and plastic (!) thimble. While I've been at it spradically for just a year, I find it very comfortable and any other method has been UNcomfortable. Many of the hand quilters in our guild have switched to her method after years doing it the Other Way simply because it is pain-free as she claims.

Also, as sampson001 suggests, try eBay and Etsy - you NEVER know what's for sale until you look!