Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone >

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Do you quilt yourself or take it to someone

Old 01-09-2012, 04:18 AM

I do my own. From start to finish, I use my old Singer 15. Does the best FM! The more I do, the more I enjoy!
Old 01-09-2012, 04:59 AM

I send my quilts out to a longarm quilter. I have no desire to own a longarm machine. I can send a lot of quilts out to be quilted for the cost of the machine, I have no desire to learn how and no room to put a large machine.
I quilt my charity quilts on my Bernina using a walking foot, these are usually crib/lap size which are easy enough to do.
I spend a lot of time and money on my quilts and don't mind having them professionally quilted.
They are beautiful when I pick them up. I send 3-4 quilts a year. Still cheaper than buying a longarm machine.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:04 AM

I am a hand-quilter and have recently attempted to quilt domestically with my sewing machine. But it wasn't the same. The feel of peace and knowing my fingers were providing each loving stitch in putting the quilt together, just cannot be replaced. I will put the tops together with my machine, but I'm afraid I'm lost and at peace and in my own quiet world when I hand-quilt. I still have my eyesight - so guess I will continue hand-quilting until I am forced to give it up. Sure, it takes a bit longer to complete each quilt, but you know, it's kind of nice having the "almost" finished project in my lap, keeping my legs warm, while I continue putting on the binding....awww..it's like my own quiet meditation while I walk into my memory of thoughts....
Old 01-09-2012, 05:05 AM

I quilt my own on my Viking. I do a little hand work but it hurts my hands so much I limit it to small or really special quilts. I can't justify the cost of sending my things out. I rather spend the time learning how to do my machine quilting better. I have no aspirations to do show quilts or art quilts. I just want to create and give them away to special people that I want to gift with a quilt.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:40 AM

If I want it to really look good I take it to someone else.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:48 AM

I quilt all of my own on my Bernina do wish I had the larger throat space but I do mine in sections then put the sections together and there are videos of this on you tube however I have taken several classes on this and all very helpful I cannot afford to send all of mine out so had to learn how to do it
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 AM

I do my own quilting on my home machine. I have taken a couple of classes in machine quilting and they helped me a lot.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 AM

I'm a pretty new quilter. I've only been quilting for 2 years and machine quilting for only 1 year. When I found out you could quilt on the machine I just did it. I don't do a lot of the really fancy stitches but am learning new things every time I quilt. I have a Singer 2010 and so far have been able to quilt a full size. I find quilting very soothing. The last quilt I did was a gift for a friend who loves tea so I quilted tea pots and tea time on it , she loves it . Not everything is perfect but it is getting better all of the time. One of the ladies in my quilt group said I didn't know it was suppose to be hard. Just keep learning. Mamia
Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 AM

Default Just keep trying

I'm a pretty new quilter. I've only been quilting for 2 years and machine quilting for only 1 year. When I found out you could quilt on the machine I just did it. I don't do a lot of the really fancy stitches but am learning new things every time I quilt. I have a Singer 2010 and so far have been able to quilt a full size. I find quilting very soothing. The last quilt I did was a gift for a friend who loves tea so I quilted tea pots and tea time on it , she loves it . Not everything is perfect but it is getting better all of the time. One of the ladies in my quilt group said I didn't know it was suppose to be hard. Just keep learning. Mamia
Old 01-09-2012, 06:07 AM

While it is true that one can have a lot of quilts finished by a longarmer out there in the community, there is some satisfaction to saying, "I did this all by myself". I bought a long arm last year and I am enjoying the challenge and the results. Will the machine ever pay for itself? Maybe - who knows?