Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time paper piecer!!! >

first time paper piecer!!!

first time paper piecer!!!

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM

I like Carol Doak's books also for the "how to" part. As for paper I take her book the the copy shop where I can play with the size of the pieces. Once I get the right size pieces for the size block I want, I make as many copies as I need for completion. If you're just using scrap strips and sewing them together for a certain shape, use pages out of phone books or I've used an old atlas I found. Cut the pages to the shape you want and start in. Phone pages are easier to remove also.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:40 PM

I really like to paper piece you did a great job on your blocks I use tracing paper from the dollar store and sew the pattern with a unthreaded needle I can do about 20-25 copies and it comes off easy!
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM

Your paper piecing looks very nice. You are using the right approach--easy first and then on to harder. I've used all types of paper for piecing from thin tissue to regular computer copy paper. I've found that the more complicated are easier with the thinner tissue or tracing paper because there are more seams or intersecting seams and the lighter weight paper makes it easier and less bulky to join sections.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:05 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I need to buy that book. I took a paper piecing class one time and feined a headache to leave because I wasn't following the teacher and couldn't figure it out. It seemed hard. But if there is a good book that does step by step instructions with pictures and actual blocks, I'd love to try it. Does this book have all that?
A year ago, I felt much the same as you! Then at Easter, I wanted to make a wall hanging and the only one I remotely liked was PPing! UGH!!!!! So I FORCED myself to work on it and got thru it.

I started by using the basic How To on the Quiltville.com site. Then jumped right into the wall hanging. I still wasn't thrilled!! I did hte CandleQuilter block, and again, not thrilled. Of course, I probably started with some of the most challenging blocks! Go figure!!!

Then, in the fall I was doing the FWS blocks, and while I didn't HAVE to do PPing, I came to some blocks that I didn't feel like all the measuring and cutting ... knowing the chances are they wouldn't lie flat. It was awkward, and then a did a few more ... and more ... and I started to get in my PP groove!!

And now .... frankly, I quite enjoy PPing! .... I see it as Paint-By-Numbers meets Dot-To-Dot!! Two things I loved as a kid. PLUS ... I totally see it as a lazy way of piecing. Almost mindless. And BONUS ...... pointy points, accurate piecing and bang on sizes of blocks. Who can argue?

P.S. ..... You really don't need a book. Just go to Quiltville and START ... and keep at it, and find your PP groove!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 PM

U did great!! I was reading yesterday those blocks u did are some of the hardest!! I did my first full sized quilt doing pp. Going to have to check out the book. Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2012, 10:23 PM

Great job!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 PM

I think I will get that book.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Good job. I have used regular copy paper and I have used tracing paper and lightweight cloth. I'm a person to use what I have. I don't mind removing the paper. It is just part of the process. The most important part is to enjoy!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:50 AM
KR

Great job....you're hooked now!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

mamaheath-great blocks!

Since your book gives you issues, perhaps consider having it spiral bound so it will lay flat, or even cut the binding off and put pages in sheet protectors. Just ideas~~