Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
first time paper piecer!!! >

first time paper piecer!!!

first time paper piecer!!!

Old 01-11-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks! I was watching this thread. I want to try this but I was in love with your color pallet from your Arizona block (i think it was...the first block)
Originally Posted by Mad Mimm View Post
Welcome to the world of PP - I am also a recent convert but I love, love, love it! I recently joined another thread, the BOM 50 paper pieced stars using Carol Doak's book of the same name. We are piecing a star a week for 50 weeks. You should join in - the blocks are fun and it is a great way to learn.

I use plain old copy paper to piece on. The only drawback I have found is a tendency to curl when the iron is too hot. I have not tried any of the PP papers (Carol Doak also has her own line like June Taylor) but when I have some extra money, I may give it a whirl. So far the copy paper is working just fine!

Great job on your blocks - you have some nice colors going on there. Have fun and check out the thread on 50 paper pieced stars under BOM/BOW.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Raptureready, I'm in complete agreement with you regarding Carol Doak. I have convinced more than a couple of people not to toss paper-piecing to the wind - that it really is a do-able technique. I recommended they get themselves a copy of Carol's 40 Bright and Bold Paper Pieced Blocks or 50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars books. Once they did that, they were converts.

But, having just completed a block for a swap last night, I have to say, I forgot how much fabric paper piecing uses.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks everyone for the ideas...i tried regular printer paper and had a hard time seeing through to ensure lining up. For now until more experienced I will try some of the other see through options. Thanks for the suggestions for free patterns. I am not looking to do a BOM. My goal for this year is to finish some of my UFOs and use some of my stash. So far i have completed four UFOs.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 AM

I love paper piecing because it gives such a clean, precise piecing. Your examples really show that off. Good job.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 PM

I love your blocks. I want to try paper piecing someday.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:27 AM

Very pretty looks like little gems.
Old 01-14-2012, 03:21 AM
QM
Power Poster

My preferred foundation material is deli paper, which I have bought from Costco. These are the individual 10 1/2" squares used to wrap sandwiches. Unfortunately, my new super gizz printer does not like them. Otherwise, I just use regular printing paper. Don't use the good stuff. It's thicker. Someone told me to put a heavy crease along each sewing line. It does make a difference in tearing the paper off. Come to think of it, I have also used cheap, thin lined binder paper. It works well too. The best time to buy that is in August, with back to school specials. I have a friend who only uses baker's parchment or onion skin. I am too cheap for those.