Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-11-2012, 04:57 PM

Ok irishrose, you inspired me to make the veggie soup too! I used to make this a lot- it's a good filler food- thanks for reminding me. I started out sauteing some zucchini, peppers, onions, celery & garlic then adding chicken broth, carrots & green beans & a half dozen chopped brussel sprouts. I love the taste that cabbage gives soup, but didn't want to buy a whole head, so instead the brussel sprouts. I simmered that then added some tomatoes w/green chilies & spices. Wow! It was good. I like to add different things to it when I heat up a bowl like pasta or rice or chicken. Last night I had a bit of taco meat leftover & put in some of that & yum! That was realy good! I haven't weighed myself since I got back but plan to get on the scale on Friday.

Does anyone watch The Biggest Loser? I got sucked into watching it several years ago & still do. Don't know weather that is good or bad....It definately has all of the "reality show" aspects to it, but still, I am amazed at quite a few of the people on there.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM

so far all of the diabetic education classes r either during the day or they require u go to their Doctors and I really like my Doctor, but the local senior center is holding a short class tomorrow so I'm going to go and maybe they can refer me to somewhere
Old 01-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet View Post
so far all of the diabetic education classes r either during the day or they require u go to their Doctors and I really like my Doctor, but the local senior center is holding a short class tomorrow so I'm going to go and maybe they can refer me to somewhere
Ask your doctor to refer you to one, some of the hosptials have diabetic education classes in the evening. I don't blame you for not wanting to change doctors. I didn't change doctors. Be aware some of the diabetic educators may try to get you to go on a meal replacement plan (where you buy their food) similar to Jenny Craig or Nutrasystems. I personally dont believe that is the route to take as we need to learn portion control and what is better for us to eat. I will look for some of the material I have from when I took the class and see what I can send you.

If you are wanting a good book that for counting carbs and calories, Look at Calorie King. This is who my diabetic educators recomended. It has just about every food and includes lots of resturants.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:20 PM

thank u I will check into it, and I do have one place left to call in the morning, and all the rest are over an hour away so I probably wont be checking into those
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

I had more of my soup for dinner after my church quilting group. I swear it's getting hotter as it sits in the fridge. I hope it melts another half pound. My youngest daughter wants the recipe. Will I see my magazine again? I think I'll just make her a copy when I get my printers switched out. My Epson jammed and died last week so it's a good thing I kept my old HP.

I had a busy day and could actually go to bed at a decent time, but not before I get the SS ready to FMQ.

I watch the Biggest Loser when Dancing With the Stars isn't on. It amazes me how much exercise those people are capable of doing. They are certainly dedicated. I hope their weight stays off when they to go back to the real world. I know some have had long term success.

nancia, I'm glad you've had exciting news. You've been through a lot lately and need good news. I saw some good looking 'fur' coats on QVC this winter. What's the big guy's name? Dennis Basso? or Fasso? Lucky you if you have one of his coats. I just have too many to seriously look at another.

Nice picture, Cindy. Lucy manages to get in your pictures, doesn't she?

Okay, off to the SS. One more decision - do I try to use two colors of binding or do I use all dark, even on the light side? We'll see. Actually, I nned to quilt it first so I don't have to decide tonight.

Goodnight. y'all.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:59 PM

yes Lucy does seem to get in a lot of them. That is my mom in the picture with me and Lucy. Our Christmas Eve picture.

I have to look for the veggie soup recipe that WW gave out a few years ago that is 0 points per cup. I like the idea of adding the leftover meat to your bowl when you heat it up.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48 PM

short an sweet-- i missed the discussion about the soup. what magazine is it in? i'd like to try it. my oreos and caramel egg cream diet isn't working. i know, go figure!! oh yeah, i had lobster nearly every meal, and no butter or bread or chips. shoulda lost tons! TONS! I tell ya!

Last edited by nancia; 01-11-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:02 PM

omg! now i see why i didn't lose any weight! cindy, i think you lost it all! girl, i almost didn't recognize you! you must be almost at goal! well done!!
irish-- it's pamela mc coy. and i no longer need another coat for the next 40 yrs! my mom gave me her real mink. i believe it is a size 0. i'm thinking of having it made into a lovely muff and ear muffs set. if there's enough fur there. it might could fit my 5'2" older sister (if she didn't try to button it, but she won't wear fur (just leather and suede, i don't get it either).or my itty bitty daughter as a jacket, but she's kinda young for a mink. maybe i'll make coats for my dolls!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:25 AM

The soup diet is in the January issue of First magazine. It's Ann Louise Gittleman's latest attempt at the slimming of us Americans. My mistake was subbing a can of Rotel tomatoes and chilies for the canned tomatoes. Mine is a little hot.

I try not to watch QVC - they have excellent salespeople, that's for sure, but the night Dennis whoever had his faux fur coats on several were very tempting. Then I looked them up online and they weren't washable, so that's finished it. Everyday coats have to be washable, besides I needed my cash for Christmas and for Moira's ear infection.

I am going to bed before the sun comes up. Goodnight, again.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 AM

Hi all,
I have not been having a good month so opened this site for inspiration and got it.
Some one commented on her oreo and ?? (looked back but cannot find the post I read) diet that is not working. It made me laugh and I needed a laugh.
Another person posted using brussel sprouts because a head of cabbage is too large for her. I frequently use the preshredded cabbage that is sold for coleslaw, it comes in different size bags and a lot of the work is done.
I have been thinking of making a low cal soup. We are all thinking along the same lines.
Wishing you all a day of sticking to your plan.
Jeannette in NJ