Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop? >

Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop?

Redwork: Do you need to use a hoop?

Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM

Just finished Winter wonderland and love the Crabapple patterns, I use a hoop and have better luck than without.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by KimS View Post
I also use a hoop when doing any type of embroidery work. Like LivelyLady I use a stem stitch so you almost have to use the hoop. I'd say whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with then go for it. Stitch some and check to make sure it's not puckering the fabric.
Thanks KimS for the encouragement to just go for it!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
it does not sound as if you are doing embroidery- you are simply doing a running stitch- and you do not necessarily need a hoop for that- if it is working for you that's fine. most embroidery stitches are much easier to accomplish using a hoop- but a simple running stitch is easier without a hoop. as long as your piece is not puckering now- it won't later-unless you pull your stitches tight and 'gather' them-
most redwork patterns are worked in a stem stitch or backstitch- both of which are easier to do with your background hooped. you may want to visit a library- or do an (embroidery stitches) search - you will find many many tutorials, books on the techniques- and there are literally hundreds of embroidery stitches. a running stitch is not an embroidery stitch- it is a piecing/quilting stitch. but you can certainly use it if you like the look and it is giving you the result you want.
Ah, backstitch ... that is the word I was searching my brain for. That is what I am doing and decided to do that rather than the stem stitch but don't remember why. I did find a nice tutorial not using a hoop so I am going to stick with that for a bit and see what happens. Thanks for the info. I like that these replies to my question are all encouraging and telling me to do what works for me and gives me the look I want. You've got to love this Board for that reason alone!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 PM
KLO

Jackie Spencer: Thanks for the encouragement of trying this without a hoop. Hope it turns out OK as it sounds like yours does. Guess I will have to be gentle when pulling the thread through.

Kathdaves: Yep, I did baste a piece of muslin to the back of my fabric. I wasn't going to do so but I had several people mention to do that so thought I had better. Glad I did. I think I will "enjoy the journey" if I go "hoopless" but if that turns out to be a mistake, I won't hesitate to go back to the hoop. (By the way, I love the saying at the bottom of your post. I should do that in redwork and mount it on my wall!)

Liz92B: Thanks, I am taking your advice for sure.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM

I just finished that quilt in blue. I don't ever use a hoop in redwork. It is just easier for me without one. I never have my fabric to tight. I think it is to tight in a hoop. Don't get puckers or wrinkles either. If i knew how I would post a picture of my finished top.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned View Post
You will get better results using a hoop, but you certainly can do redwork without one. I was a professional embroiderer for 10 years - to me, it is very noticeable if someone is not using a hoop or had their hoop too tight. All the spaces between embroideries are puckered. If you are using an evenweave fabric, however, it is possible to easily do stem stitch without an embroidery hoop. You just have to be gentle when tightening your stitch.

Never did 'stab stitch'.
Hmmm, I am going to make sure I look carefully at the first piece I finish to see if it is very noticeable that I did not use a hoop. You may be quite right about being able to tell if it is "hoopless". I certainly don't want puckers between all the embroidery. Drat! Since I am using a cotton with a muslin backing and not a evenweave fabric, I may have to rethink not using the hoop. Maybe I just need more time (read that as practice) to get a bit better and more comfortable with the hoop. Oh and maybe I have the hoop too tight. Gosh, I did not think of that!!! Thanks for the suggestion. I will check that later when I go at it again.

Boy, Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Who knew redwork could be so involved!!! OK, I realize that it's not rocket science or brain surgery but I would like it to turn out decent.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:58 PM
KLO

Originally Posted by Gramakitten View Post
I just finished that quilt in blue. I don't ever use a hoop in redwork. It is just easier for me without one. I never have my fabric to tight. I think it is to tight in a hoop. Don't get puckers or wrinkles either. If i knew how I would post a picture of my finished top.
Hey Gramakitten, I am doing mine in blue also. I love the blue on the white as it looks cold and snowy. After reading your post, I am back to going "hoopless" for the duration of my first block. If it doesn't work for me, then I will start again with a hoop. Did you do a stem stitch or a back stitch? I did find it easier and more relaxing for me doing the backstitch without the hoop so what the heck .... I'll just go with that for the moment. Thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 PM

I have the same pattern sitting by my chair. Like a couple of you I plan on doing it in blue-the perfect color for winter I think. I am trying to decide what white fabric to use for the backround. What did you decide to use for the backround fabric/s?

Kat
Old 01-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

The Red Work club of America(I think that's what it's called) say it is perfectly acceptable to do a backstitch for Red Work. You can do a tiny stem stitch if you perfer but it isn't necssary if you like backstitch better. I like to use the backstitch and I work in the non-slip hoops but do what feels comfortable to you. There are no Red Work police here!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 PM

Not necessary to use a hoop. I do all my embroidery without a hoop. As long as you aren't pulling your stitches super tight, you'll be fine.