Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can I cry now or should I wait? >

Can I cry now or should I wait?

Can I cry now or should I wait?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 AM

OH wow!! my brothers is doing the same thing!! .. i am going to get the screw driver as we speak!!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 AM

So sorry for your frustration ...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:57 AM

I think at some point most of us have had this happen. If it is still not working after trying all the suggestions, try turning off the machine and turn the hand wheel backwards several times. It won't hurt the machine, but if there is a thread caught somewhere, it might loosen it. I have done this before and it does not hurt the machine, but has loosened a thread so it can be removed.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:23 AM

Oh Tammy, I haven't read entire thread, but hang in there sometimes just walking away and doing something else for a while makes a big difference in our outlook. Sometimes dark clouds follow us around....we are women hear us roar! :0)
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 AM

Did you try changing your needle? It may have become bent in the process
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 AM

Hooray! Good luck with the FMQ. I really like doing it and it is so satisfying to be able to finish my own quilts.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by valsma View Post
I was sewing along on my Brother SQ9000 ( not an expensive machine, but what I can afford) quilting a bowtuck i'm working on and it locked up. It gave me an error message for tangled thread. I removed all the tangled thread, made sure the bobbin casing and everything was clear of dust. I turned the handwheel to see if everything was moving freely and isn't. When I turn the hand wheel it feels as if at one spot something rubs or hangs up a little. Short of cracking open the housing I cannot find anymore thread.
I tried calling Brother and their offices are closed. I didn't see anything on their website about being open from 9-6 eastern. Fustrating. I hope whatever it is will still be covered by the warrenty but i'm not going to hold my breath. As it is to find a service person I have to travel over 40 miles north or south.

Now I feel like crying because I realized yesterday I really dislike the quilting part of quilting and had to force myself into working on this project.
I have had tghis happen to me with my Brother s and Singer machines, have you removed the plate under & around the foot feeds, back in under that plate a little piece of thread was hung up on both of my machines. I too had thought I'd looked everywhere. also make sure your bobbin is in right.. that's the only advise I have it cost me $$$$'s for repair to find this out when nothing else was wrong with either machine, bent neddles will cause the same broblem.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:13 AM

I had trouble with my little Brother SE20D Disney embroidery/sewing machine...kept jumping time...third time I took it in...was looking through the manual..Bolded Box/Sidebar.... "USE ONLY 60wt BOBBIN THREAD." Really? Hmmm... asked the tech when I picked her up...yep...and some only want 90wt bobbin thread. That was 4 years ago...have not had a problem since.
So, If I get the opportunity to see a Brother machine on the As-is table at a Walmart...you bet I'm buying it. The service person I took her to said Brother would not allow them to sell the SE270D machines, but he wished they would, as it was a great little machine. They want dealers to sell the higher end machines.

I got my Singer 2662 off the As-is table at a Walmart...tag said, "Feed dogs will not come up." Really...well I wanted to try freehand quilting...didn't need feed dogs up. My other machines were packed for a move...so for 70% off, I bought the machine, some thread and supplies to do a small sample or two. Got home..was putting on the quilting/darning foot...had to raise the needle bar out of the way...turned the hand wheel backwards..click! Up pops the feed dogs. So, I read through the manual...yep...said to raise the feed dogs, flip the switch and then turn the hand wheel half a turn to the right...I love that machine! Seven years old and works like new!

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
I have trouble with my Brother as well. When that happens, I turn it off and let it sit overnight or longer and then it seems to be ok. My friend works at Walmart and said they have lots of Brother machines returned because of tension issues. That's sad because I really like my Brother machine, but it is frustrating when it acts up.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:27 AM

With all electronics...TV's, computers, modems, heaters, sewing machines...a Hard Reset may help when there has been an unexpected interruption of some kind will fix the error.

You want to unplug the appliance/machine from the wall or surge protector and wait about 20 minutes. Don't just turn it off, unplug it so no electricity is going to the item at all.

With any item that has any kind of interrupt protection or circuitry at all..these things have a memory of sorts. If you have a problem with the bobbin or broken needle, etc....and you have done all you can and still have the error...the machine is remembering the last thing it did (error, heater tipped over, etc)..the Hard Reset allows the memory to clear out and "forget" that last event. Unless there is a real damage or the problem has not been cleared...the hard reset will put all right again.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:53 AM

Sounds like thread is inside somewhere-that happened on both my Brother, and Bernina-costly repair bill though neither one was under warranty-service rep cleaned both for $200.00 and seems that the machines knows when they need their yearly check ups-funny little ladies I have