Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New Sewing machine; Wow! >

New Sewing machine; Wow!

New Sewing machine; Wow!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:44 AM

I love my old Brother machine. I hope to upgrade some day. But, will wait until it "dies". So glad you are enjoying yours!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Emma S View Post
If you are in the market for a new machine, I sure do have a recommendation. First I am in no way connected to the Brother company either in marketing or manufacturing. I have sewn on a lower end Janome for years. That includes piecing and quilting. It has been a good machine and I have no complaints. I decided to buy a Brother PQ1500S (quilters machine) off of EBay for just under $600 because it had a larger harp, not because I felt I needed a new machine. The PQ1500 does not have any fancy stitches but wow does it sew like a dream. It weighs more than my old machine and sews over seams and intersections without any pause. I never realized I was fighting my old machine but this machine is a dream. I hope this doesn't sound like an advertisement but I am so excited I had to share.
Thank you for sharing! I've had my Brother PQ1500 Nouvelle for nearly 10 years and it has been on the go daily! It is wonderful for FMQ and piecing...the best I've ever tried. I also have an older Brother NX400 which is used for decorative stitches but will also FMQ when needed. Brother is the best! No, I don't work or am connected to the Brother company, either, but their machines are wonderful. You won't find either machine at Walmart although newer sewers might want to start with a less expensive machine.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:23 AM

The good thing about strait stitch machines is you can put them on a long arm table and connect a stitch regulator to them.
The bad thing is they have a complicated threading system and a under the machine bobbin. They are primitive compared to the computerized machines. But they are much better for piecing.
I have the Baby Lock Jane, which is a brother 1500, set up on a table. I also have a Viking Sapphire that wont sew over bumps but other wise I love.
They are so different from each other. It is nice to have both.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:46 AM

I just did the same thing....got the Brother1500 for Christmas and just love it. I especially got it to do free motion sewing and it is like sewing through butter, don't even know when it goes over a seam....
Old 01-13-2012, 07:57 AM

I have a fancy upscale machine but the harp was too small to accommodate large tops for quilting. I bought this same machine and it does sew extremely well. I found I love the thread cutter and now wish my upscale machine had one. I recently did a spiderweb paper piece project on it and I really loved how it all went. So it is a great addition to my sewing room. My only complaint was that the walking foot that came with it did not have a place to put a quilt guide. I solved this by getting a high shank Janome walking foot. High shank Janome feet seem to be interchangeable with Brother high shank feet. Problem solved, quilting now not a sew and shove pain in the neck. Those few extra inches does make a difference. Also the strong motor is very nice if you want to sew heavy fabrics....
Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Debbie: Thanks for the info re the Gracie frame. I was happy before, now I'm delighted. Clearly I bought more of a machine than I thought.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM

Glad you are so happy. Thanks for the information!
Old 01-13-2012, 10:50 AM

I've had mine for a couple of months and love it. Not picky at all for what I do. The only thing I don't like is the threader. I have a computerized Brother with a threader that is wonderful. I fight with this one every time, and usually just thread it myself.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Emma, Thanks for sharing about your new machine. I eventually want to get a second machine and love to hear what people are saying about their machines.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Great to get feedback, looking at new machines myself, thanks for sharing.