Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the Best Long Arm to Buy >

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

What is the Best Long Arm to Buy

Old 08-04-2010, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well I am going to see if I can physically look a these machines and play with them and some time after I get back from my trip around the country on my new chopper I will go and pick it up.

I plan on selling my bike after I get back so thats why I am not worried about the cost of it. I will use some of the money from the sale of the bike to buy it. Its only fair, I was able to enjoy my bike riding it on a month long trip around the country so my wife needs to have a LA that she can enjoy!!

Billy
Some of the longarms--especially the ones with Intellistitch/Compuquilter/ProStitcher added on cost more than 2 choppers! Your price range will help you determine which models to look at. Then which features you want now or can be added later will narrow your choices again.

Attending one of the large quilt shows is the best way to start your search.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKrenning
Well I am going to see if I can physically look a these machines and play with them and some time after I get back from my trip around the country on my new chopper I will go and pick it up.

I plan on selling my bike after I get back so thats why I am not worried about the cost of it. I will use some of the money from the sale of the bike to buy it. Its only fair, I was able to enjoy my bike riding it on a month long trip around the country so my wife needs to have a LA that she can enjoy!!

Billy
Some of the longarms--especially the ones with Intellistitch/Compuquilter/ProStitcher added on cost more than 2 choppers! Your price range will help you determine which models to look at. Then which features you want now or can be added later will narrow your choices again.

Attending one of the large quilt shows is the best way to start your search.
I am going to be asking $70,000 for my bike and will not sell it for less than $65,000 so I should be able to buy what I want. And I do want the CNC option.

Billy
Old 08-04-2010, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by franie
I own the affordable long arm--a Tin Lizzie 18LS. I love it! It can do anything a Gammill can do. There are other machines that are similar and in the price range of the Tin Lizzie. I would go try several dif ones out if you can.
We love ours also, we have Lizzie stitch which allows you to copy a design, say a rose on the fabric and use it to sew out your quilt, It has horo. & vert. channel locks so important. The frame is so stable and looks so nice. It uses heavy pipes so there is no give like those telescoping poles have. It is just awesome...
Old 08-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
Originally Posted by franie
I own the affordable long arm--a Tin Lizzie 18LS. I love it! It can do anything a Gammill can do. There are other machines that are similar and in the price range of the Tin Lizzie. I would go try several dif ones out if you can.
We love ours also, we have Lizzie stitch which allows you to copy a design, say a rose on the fabric and use it to sew out your quilt, It has horo. & vert. channel locks so important. The frame is so stable and looks so nice. It uses heavy pipes so there is no give like those telescoping poles have. It is just awesome...
i have the tin lizzie 18LS also and love it too. i only have mine set up queen size as largest because i didn't have any more room. i think you mean shirley stitcher don't you? i have the lizzie stitch - it's just built in to the machine but the shirley stitcher is extra bucks so that's why i don't have it. but i'm satisfied without that.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

I have a Handi-Quilter, and I love it! It was within my budget, and has lots of features.
I'd suggest going and doing some actual "testing" of different brands and models. Ask if they have special discounts, etc. I managed to get a free table for my machine!
Best to you~
Old 08-04-2010, 07:36 AM

Thats one thing I will not do is the yahoo groups. nothing but bad experiences there. Shame there is not like a Consumer Reports for sewing machines or long Arms

Billy[/quote]

I wont do the yahoogroups either, I was so badly verbally assaulted in the cat world they crusified me and black listed me to the world because I export some of my kittens overseas they even put my home address and phone number up for the world to see, I ended up talking to my local politician and he threatened them but it didn't make any difference, It was ok for them to have a go at me but when I retaliated verbaly I was again crusified, so I don't go there anymore. it isn't worth the effort
Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Banned

Just found this tread and wanted to put in my 2 cents worth in here.
Nolting Pro 24!

My DH and I were went to AQS show in Knoxville, TN last month. We 'test drove' most of the Long Arms that were at the show and came out liking 2 of them. One was the Gammill and the other was Nolting Pro 24. We liked the Nolting a little better for a couple reasons. The customer service we got from the rep and:

1) Nolting is still made in the USA (Gammill is now made overseas)
2) It does all we wanted it to and then some
3) The computer program is awesome! The size of the computer is smaller than on the Gammill which is great! Less of a dust collector.
You can design your own patterns and save them onto the computer and set it to do it's thing! (You can on the Statler also)
4) the wheels to the LA are secured so the machine can't be lifted up or bumped out of place accidentally.
5) It operates very smoothly!
6) Stitch regulator
7) Hydraulic lift so you can sit and quilt or stand and quilt.
8) They don't loose much value if you want to trade in/up.

Cost of near or to mid $30K. for everything.

There is a "Quilting with Machines" show in Huron, Ohio in September. Several mfg will be there with training and a show!
We are hoping to go!

Good luck in deciding.
Good luck!
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 PM

I haven't seen anyone mention the Crown Jewel by Babylock, I saw it at a show last year and was very impressed with that model. Has anyone seen that entry?
Old 08-04-2010, 04:26 PM

I know this thread is like beating a dead horse because its more than likely been asked several hundred times, BUT I am biting the bullet and buying a Long Arm.

You know me I am not in all this fancy smancy new fangled sewing apparatuses, but I am seeing a need that needs to be filled so to speak.

The use of the machine will be personal but if I can do it for others and make a buck I will. I would like for one to be CNC capable so I can create the design on the computer and then hit a button and watch it go. Whether I purchase that option or not, I want the company to offer something like that. And space is not an issue.

So what are your opinions and recommendations.

Billy
Billy go to a large quilt show and try them all out. That is what my friend did and she like the handi quilter. Number one she like the easy of its use and she could get help from a local shop if she needed it. She also liked the price. I think she got a middle of the road one. This was couple years ago.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Default Re: LaCresta Long arm

Has anyone purchased the LaCresta or tried using it? I'm interested in purchasing one, but I want to make sure that it stands up to what it says it will. I do like the idea that the company comes in to install the machine and shows you how to use it. I also like the feature that you can raise and lower the table so you can either stand or sit. I would, however, like to see some customer feedback on the performance of the machine. I think Martelli is a good company. I recently sent back a 45mm cutter because a piece broke off. I was told that it would be replaced. That's service if you ask me. So, if there is anyone out there who has purchased a La Cresta, please....feedback......