Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative to basting >

Alternative to basting

Alternative to basting

Old 01-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I have allergies so I prefer fusible batt for FMQ. A good brand is Hobbs 80/20 fusible but there are others.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Sharon S has a thread basting technique that uses long boards to keep the layers even and allow you to baste a large quilt without needing a very large area.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...e_gdata_player
I'll second this method. It makes a very stable quilt sandwich and you can fold it up and put it away for however long you need to without having to worry about rust or chemicals or anything else.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Sharon S has a thread basting technique that uses long boards to keep the layers even and allow you to baste a large quilt without needing a very large area.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNy...e_gdata_player
This is the method that I was going to recommend but I couldn't remember where I bookmarked it to . I am definitely going to try this next time I baste a quilt. Basting is the only part of making a quilt that I really dislike!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:51 PM

I just started using spray basting, (saw the idea here) and haven't had any puckers since.
I think it is great. I use 505 spray.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by SWEETPEACHES View Post
For those of you who spray baste. Do you lay your quilt on the floor, or on a design wall (like I've seen done on a video)
Just remember that the spray basting comes with a problem. You need to be in a well ventilated area, and if you have any lung problem DON'T USE THE SPRAY BASTE! I found that out the hard way. I had made up my mind that spray basting was the best thing since sliced bread and that I would never thread baste or pin baste again! Well, I have COPD and I had such an episode after spray basting and took such a tongue lashing from my Dr that I will never ever spray baste again! A very scary thing. I had never given it a thought. Dumb!
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM

I also suggest you try Sharon Schamber's method. Everyone in our quilt guild who has tried it loves it. You sit in a chair and simply go back and forth across the quilt.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

i use a folding table to spray baste my quilts on. i center the quilt layers and fold back the top, spray the area, smooth the top in place. move the whole quilt to get to other sections. Then flip the quilt over and do the same with the backing. sometimes i use pins on the edges of the border to help it stay put when quilting.
also use fusible batting and iron the quilt in the same way, in sections. turn over and press sections to finish basting.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:36 AM

Be very, very careful with the amount of spray basting you use. It can gum up the needle and make fmq almost impossible.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I'll second this method. It makes a very stable quilt sandwich and you can fold it up and put it away for however long you need to without having to worry about rust or chemicals or anything else.
I've had no problems since I started using this method. No shifting, puckers, wrinkles. I'm usually not a fan of basting but this method is fast and easy. I set up a table in the living room and hand baste while I watch TV with DH.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

Question regarding Sharon Shamber basting method - how do you do a larger quilt, say twin or queen? Do you need very long boards and a very long table?