Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Pet Peeve >

Quilting Pet Peeve

Quilting Pet Peeve

Old 01-14-2012, 06:20 AM

Patterns that only show how to cut out every single piece when you could strip piece many parts of the pattern. Why show only the hard way to accomplish it. And ERRORS in patterns. I usually look at the pretty pictures and make up my own way to get to the end.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by SEW View Post
piecing a square or quilt top only to realize it was not sewn into the correct position, usually because I was not paying attention!

co workers who think I have nothing better to do then hem their pants!
Or family members who think I have nothing better to do than hem their pants, take the waistline of their jeans in -- or alter prom gowns.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:31 AM

wrinkles in backings that have been pressed, startched, pressed, startched......
Old 01-14-2012, 06:37 AM

Pet Peeves? I've got a few, but I think my main one is having to waste my precious sewing time ... RIPPING!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:38 AM

I got 7 sewing machines, a sewing room, tons of fabric and very little free time to quilt!
Old 01-14-2012, 06:41 AM

Default Pet Peeves

This about sums it up for me. (lol) Thank you.
Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
~ when i'm rushed everything I do is wrong...
~ when no matter how many times i read the instructions I still cant make it right..
~ when I cant find one of my 10 seam rippers when I need it
~ when I run out of bobbin thread and don' notice till I think Im done
~ When i really want to sew but in in such a funk that i cant stay on task and work on a millions things and nothing gets done
Old 01-14-2012, 06:42 AM

threads, big or little, don't bother me.....I just use the lint brush on me and my surroundings! If I miss some on me, I just call it my "jewelry" My pet peeve is when someone/something interrupts my quilting; supper, cleaning, laundry, blah, blah, blah!!!!! I guess I am O/C and want to just piece/quilt until I want to stop.......oh, really hate when I nork the rotary against a ruler/template and make a "divet" on the blade and have to replace it......I really try to use them as much as I can since they are so expensive to replace. I find that seems to be the only thing I can use JoAnn coupons on...when they are not on sale.........(I guess that is 2 peeves)
Old 01-14-2012, 06:43 AM

People trying to butter you up to try to get you to do something for them, as though whatever you do doesn't take any time at all, as though it is nothing. Also people saying things such as telling you how fast someone else can sew something and how good they are at making things.
I might show them a quilt I made, they say Oh please will you make one, as though there is nothing to it. They don't seem to realize how much time you put into it.

Give somebody a quilt and then they don't take care of it.
Give someone a baby quilt and they don't even seem to appreciate it.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:44 AM

I'm not accomplished enough for this yet. You mean I have to catch their errors. Oh man, I'm in trouble.
Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
Patterns that only show how to cut out every single piece when you could strip piece many parts of the pattern. Why show only the hard way to accomplish it. And ERRORS in patterns. I usually look at the pretty pictures and make up my own way to get to the end.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Thats me, the most often used sewing tool is the seam ripper. Been sewing for over 50 years and have 4 seam rippers (if I can find them when needed), I use lint removers to pick up the removed threads. With the Singer 201 I made hundreds of clothing items and loved it. I am a quilting beginner. I guess I will not use my 201 for quilting.