Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 PM

There is going to be a million opinions on this thread. I have purchased fabrics at Walmart and been happy with them. The MOST important factor when buying fabric anywhere, INCLUDING LQS, is the feel of the fabric. If it looks thin and feels flimsy, I will most likely pass on it if it is going into something that will get rugged use and washed. I have bought less than perfect fabric if I was making a dog bandana, dog bed, fabric wreaths and the such. It is up to you, the buyer and quilter, whether it is a fabric that you think will work for you. I have purchased batting, interfacing, notions and Decor fabrics and have been very pleased with the quality and yes, the price!!! Only you yourself know what you can afford to pay for fabrics and supplies and there is no reason why you can't purchase these items at Walmart, Joann's, or a LQS.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:25 PM

I have several fabrics purchased in Walmart that were also available in the LQS. Price at WM was much lower...

Have discovered that you really need to check the fabric before you buy it. But that is true at the LQS, too.

"My" Walmart is usually staffed from about 10:00 AM to 9:00 PM. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they cut the fabric straighter than the LQS!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 AM

Ours use to be better but last time there we found hardly anything at all. Plus half of what they had in the clearance section still had regular prices on it and they tried to tell us it was marked down. So I'd say the service stinks if they lie to the customers.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:40 AM

In the local WalMart here, I find of the exact same fabric Joann carries at 1/3 the price. Thats not saying much for either...but it really depends on your project, don't you think!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:45 AM
Power Poster

if you are looking to make an Heirloom/show quality quilt wallyworld is not the place to get your fabrics- but if you are making kids quilts that will take a beating- participate in picnics, build forts, go to the beach and to sleep overs- the fabric will be fine- you won't have alot invested-when it wears out you know it got a lot of use-and you got your money's worth.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:52 AM

I buy alot from walmart. have done several quilt a month club I think they call it. just like anywhere else have to watch what you pick out.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 AM

I have bought and used Walmart, JoAnn, Hobby Lobby and fabric from about every LQS in the Kansas City area for about 30 years. Yes, there is a difference but you, as the consumer, need to look and feel what you are buying and using. Kids quilts that are meant to be used and washed a lot, IMO, don't get the 15.00 a yard fabric.....Walmart has some very nice fabric in the 4-5.00 a yard range. Yesterday, I bought a few new black/white fabrics and spent the night cutting 2 1/2 strips from about 40 different black/white fabrics to start a new quilt. After they were all startched, ironed and cut into strips, I would challenge anyone to find the ''cheaper'' fabrics.....again, you need to look and feel before you buy anywhere......I've found some really nice stuff on the Walmart clearnece tables but I agree, the 1.50 a yard stuff, really will not do for any project.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:34 AM

Recently I found some polar fleece at WalMart for $2.94 a yard.I make little charity quilts for a local program called Hope Totes. Since I cant afford to spend much for fabrics, I thought it was a good buy. I use the polar fleece for the backings on the little quilts. I dont need to use any kind of batting and they are soft and lightweight.
I dont have small grandchildren and do love to make the little quilts.
Have a great day. Pollio
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 AM

Personally, not impressed with either the selection or the quality of the fabrics at my local Walmart. Just my opinion, though and I am blessed with having a few lqs's in my area to shop at so I tend to avoid Walmart. To each their own, however.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 AM

I agree with Cattyqwltr. Just get the best you can afford.