Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Pet Peeve >

Quilting Pet Peeve

Quilting Pet Peeve

Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnie View Post
Patterns that only show how to cut out every single piece when you could strip piece many parts of the pattern. Why show only the hard way to accomplish it. And ERRORS in patterns. I usually look at the pretty pictures and make up my own way to get to the end.
ERRORS in patterns are at the top of my list; as a beginner, they really set me back in terms of time, materials and mood.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:59 AM

sew allthee blocks and then the rows together, everything sandwiched then about half way threw the guilting u find block that u didnt sewed wrong. to late now. from grandma with love
Old 01-15-2012, 07:02 AM

When my tools for adjusting the longarm machine keep disappearing...I've bought a half dozen wrenches and pliers in the last six years...find them in the barn, or by a fence post...rusted...ugh.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:08 AM

Although I can relate to all the pet peeves, and always know that I caused my quilting frustration by being stressed, tired, rushed, in a hurry, not paying attention, not as skilled as I should be, or able to be "assertive", too sensitive, not confident enough to do that branching out and making variations, making it my own, I do have one "Pet Peeve" that I didn't read here yet.

I enjoy watching the various quilting programs but I really, really HATE to watch the entire show and then all the patterns, instructions are not on the program or the web site. I have to FIND a magazine, purchase the magazine and finally I would be ready to start - by that time, I have moved on. Often the programs are repeats and the magazine is no where to be purchased. (I know, if I was really a quilter, I could figure all this out and do it.) Some day maybe. I wonder why I should watch the program if I must by the magazine. There are several programs that do give the instructions, pattern, measurements, and even the repeat program is available. I really appreciate these quilters and programs. (That is why I like Star Missouri so much.)

Last edited by ccthomas; 01-15-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaryLane View Post
My pet peeves:

Designs that are not printed straight on the fabric

People that assume the way they were taught is the ONLY way to do something. For example, I never saw a seam ripper until I was 13. I tear up more stuff with a seam ripper than I do using scissors to pick stuff apart.

And....this one is dumb, but.....yellow fabric. I hate the color yellow for the most part. There are a few exceptions but I am stewing over this because I signed up for a BOM at the LQS and it has more yellow than I think I can handle. I know....I am crazy. But, it is okay. The people in my little world know me and accept me. LOL
wow we are secret twins except for me it is blue that i cannot sew much of and yellow is my favorite
had to do a binding for someone that was dark blue so i did it after sundown without the lamp on(pretended it was black) and almost burst out laughing when a dear friend commented about how nice the mitered corners were

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-15-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by newquilty View Post
Thats me, the most often used sewing tool is the seam ripper. Been sewing for over 50 years and have 4 seam rippers (if I can find them when needed), I use lint removers to pick up the removed threads. With the Singer 201 I made hundreds of clothing items and loved it. I am a quilting beginner. I guess I will not use my 201 for quilting.
this is soooo true....my 301A has such a perfect stitch that it is next to impossible to remove....check twice and sew once does not work...check three times and sew once !!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:33 AM

I can't stand it that I can never find what I am looking for because I cleaned my sewing area.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM

ok my main pet peeve now is that my quick replys do not post 70% of the time

LOL... that one posted the first time......LOL...ROFLOL
Old 01-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Running out of bobbin thread has got to be #1 for me!!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM

also have a good friend who expects me to make her bed-sized quilts just because I am a quilter and she likes quilts. i.e. She has always wanted a house quilt. I have offered to teach her how to quilt, and she just says I can make her one....really? You would let me do that? LOL

Uh huh, I have one who thinks the same way, I even bought her a sewing machine for Christmas last year , a Kenmore which they have a Janome sewing machine just like it, and she won't even try to sew. Says she just can't do it, or says she can't see to thread the needle, (there is glasses out there that people can buy which makes that hole bigger.) I have offered to help teach her to sew, but she always finds other things to do when I even suggest such a thing. (She says , you've been sewing for a lot of years,) I never had any sewing lessons to speak of except in homemaking in high school, I've learned most of everything by doing and reading, mostly from the internet or quilt magazines.

Last edited by janny40; 01-15-2012 at 09:53 AM.