Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 AM

I have found some really nice sports themed patterns that I buy. They are a lot cheaper compared to Joanns.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

I would love the chance to buy fabric at my Walmart! They took out the fabric department and replaced it with a few cheap pre-cuts. I loved their specialty fabrics, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day etc. Most LQS don't stock those items. I would use them for small, fun projects like tablerunners, pot holders etc. I haven't bought anything there since the switch.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ro View Post
I believe you get what you pay for. The $5 isnt bad. The $1.50 fabric reminds me of sheets that are old, worn and ready for garbage. If you are taking time to make something, then you want it to last at least the years end. I myself like to support our local fabric shop. The quality is there. Yes, sometimes you pay a higher price. But to me, my time and effort is worth something. If I can't afford fabric this week or month, then I'll just wait a little longer until I can. I'd rather have the quality.
My thoughts exactly. The time and care I put into my quilts is worth the best fabric.
And I have never ever touched a piece of "crap" fabric at my LQS!
Not being a Walmart shopper, I did go to the new one near me jsut to see what this fabric was all about. The colors and prints looked great but feeling the fabric told a different story. Definitely not first run. Bet they fade fast.
You did ask for opinons and now youhave mine!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Our WM is so poorly staffed it's hard to find anyone to cut fabric!
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM

Cool Walmart fabric

I have gotten incredible buys there, as well as just what anyone would expect. I bought a fabric collection from David Textiles on the clearance table for $1/yard, made my Mom's 90th birthday quilt, and it has washed beautifully, even in the nursing home's industrial laundry. I often buy off the clearance table for charity baby quilts and pillow cases. Touch it well, hold it up to the light to judge how thin it is, and be thrilled when you get a bargain.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
when my walmart had fabric BEFORE they removed it and brought it back they had 'better' fabric.. Now all we have is icky thin waste of money fabric..
I agree! When our Walmart had fabric, before they removed it, I purchased fabric there weekly. They deleted the fabric department for a couple of years and just brought fabric back to the store this past summer. BIG DISAPOINTMENT!!! The selection is not very good, the quality is not as good as before and the prices have risen quite a bit. I usually just buy needles, thread, bias tape, etc. there now. I wait till I "go to the city" to buy fabric from Hancock's or Joann's.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM

I have a fundamental problem with WM as a corporation. They want to sell cheap crap to everyone and undercut the smaller Mom-n-Pop operations, and really serve to destroy local economies.
For that reason alone, I try to keep my dollars local.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:23 PM

My WM doesn't even have a fabric dept. They do however have a wall in the craft section of pre packed 1 and 2 years cuts. Haven't have a chance to open up the package and get a feel for the fabric, I should do that next time I go in!!!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:41 PM

I wondered if you can take fabric back to Walmart after it has been cut? I may check on that, when I got home I wished I hadn't bought it. I may check on it.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM

I have found decent fabric at Wal-Mart and I have felt crappy fabric at Walmart. That being said, I think that you should buy the best you can afford for the project you are designing. My mom used many types of fabric when making her scrappy quilts. These quilts were made to stay warm and some of them are in use to this day. (And she's been in heaven for 8+ years. I tend to use LQS or Joann's, Hobby Lobby and Hancock's. Depends on situation.