Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thought  I was  losing  my mind >

Thought I was losing my mind

Thought I was losing my mind

Old 01-15-2012, 02:49 PM

I'm certainly no authority, but in the one and only quilt class I've taken, the instructor emphasized using a well marked ruler rather than the cutting board to measure - I'd guess for just this reason. So sorry you had this very frustrating experience!
Sally
Old 01-15-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
way back when i first started taking quilting classes at lqs' i was told to never use the cutting mat to measure your fabric- to use it to line up straight lines but to always use your ruler or a tape measure to measure- that seldom are mats actually correct- so i've never used it for that- guess they were right- they are not always correct- but the lines should be straight on it.
I was taught the same way, but I would like to know which brand it is, it must be a second...it did get me off the chair to measure the new olfa i bought a few weeks ago...it measures fine...having said that if yours is a second Hancock should give you a new mat free of charge for 1. Not advertising the mat as a second..2. To compensate you for the fabric you used
Old 01-15-2012, 03:12 PM

The mat was not a second and it is used to square up quilt blocks . Just wanted to give a heads up.I will go back to my quilt II mat .By the way it wasn't a card board mat that everyone is freaking out about. Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 04:35 PM

I use the cutting mat to measure, but I don't use any other method. If it is off, it is off all the way around. I have seen many rulers that are 'off' over the years. If you only use that one, you are OK. I make wine, and the buckets for fermenting wine are all over the place. One of the first things they tell you to do is use your tried and true gallon container and fill the bucket with that. If you correct the marks along the way, you are in good shape. I think the problem with measures is that these things are made in countries that use the metric system, and changing to 'American' measures is a guess.
Phyllis
Old 01-15-2012, 04:38 PM

Default Cutting mats

I use the cutting mat to measure, but I don't use any other method. If it is off, it is off all the way around. I have seen many rulers that are 'off' over the years. If you only use that one, you are OK. I make wine, and the buckets for fermenting wine are all over the place. One of the first things they tell you to do is use your tried and true gallon container and fill the bucket with that. If you correct the marks along the way, you are in good shape. I think the problem with measures is that these things are made in countries that use the metric system, and changing to 'American' measures is a guess.
Phyllis
Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM

I never use my mat to measure -- always use my rulers and I try to cut the whole quilt using the same ruler.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks for that tip. I was looking at a smaller cutting board than I have, for little jobs. Will check the measurements BEFORE I buy one now.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

DITTO on all of this!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I've got a couple questions....
What brand cutting mat do you use?
Has anyone ever told you that MOST mats aren't that accurate and the lines are really meant for the most basic lining up, not accurate measuring?

I've taught for years and urge my students to use the Olfa brand green cutting mats -- widely used by engineers for years before quilters discovered them "way back when". The material they are made from is so much better than the Fiskars gray ones, white/opaque ones, and the green ones from other makers.

The Olfa cutting mats were originally made with no markings on the reverse side and I taught my students to use that side so they did not become dependent to the lines on the mat. Use two rulers, which are designed for measuring, to square up and cut your fabric.

Jan in VA
Old 01-15-2012, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
I've got a couple questions....
What brand cutting mat do you use?
Has anyone ever told you that MOST mats aren't that accurate and the lines are really meant for the most basic lining up, not accurate measuring?

I've taught for years and urge my students to use the Olfa brand green cutting mats -- widely used by engineers for years before quilters discovered them "way back when". The material they are made from is so much better than the Fiskars gray ones, white/opaque ones, and the green ones from other makers.

The Olfa cutting mats were originally made with no markings on the reverse side and I taught my students to use that side so they did not become dependent to the lines on the mat. Use two rulers, which are designed for measuring, to square up and cut your fabric.

Jan in VA
Jan, you are so right. I alway use two rulers to measure, never have I used the mat to measure.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM

gee wish I could use that as my excuse