Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:59 AM

I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. We are fortunate to have several stores. I watch the quality. The selection is OK but not great. I will say it seems they buy the overages from manufacturers so some is quality fabric, just from previous years.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 AM

I live in a very rural area and have no LQS, can't even buy a spool of thread in my little town. The nearest Wal-Mart is a 30-minute drive, nearest Hobby Lobby, etc., is a 1-1/2 hour drive. I'm a newbie quilter and I do buy fabric from Wal-Mart simply because it's the nearest source, it's inexpensive, and being a beginner I don't want to make a hot mess of expensive fabric. I've purchased some charm packs and fat quarters online (ebay) and have been perusing some of the online stores mentioned here as well. Our Wal-Mart has a pretty good selection of fabric, some lesser quality stuff that's been great for me to practice on and some better quality, not the best, but better. I'd love to have easy access to a nice quilt shop.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 AM

Default Wally World Fabric

Hi - I heard their fabric was from JoAnne's - just maybe unsellable or one step below par.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:25 AM

The quantity and quality of fabric at Walmart depends totally on the department manager. Our Walmart has worse than junk. I was in Fredricksberg, Texas in December and the fabric and service was wonderful. i agree not all fabric was quilt shop quality, but there was plenty of good fabric for $4.00 a yard and a little of the junk $1.50 per yard. I bought 15 yards of fabric to make donation quilts and lap quilts. The manager of the department told me that they managed to keep their fabric in their store the whole time. This area is a retirement center and people do not have $ll.00 a yard budget. I told her I would be back in the spring to do some m ore shopping.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Fabriclovr

Before they did away with the department, the fabric was decent, now it's pathetic! The store put in two shelving units and two round displays.. pure crap. I like that they have a larger selection in jelly rolls and fat quarters and pre wraped yards of 'quilters cotton' but you really have to look at what your buying there as a lot of the better stuff is mixed in with the crap.. JMHO

Old 01-16-2012, 07:35 AM

I buy a lot of fabric from wal-mart and has had no problem I do a lot of their monthly patterns which I love to do everythings turn out great. I do not buy the 1.50 fabric but everything so far i bough has been great I have no problem with their fabric at all. I'm so glad they kept it.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:41 AM

I like to buy there batting there, I like the extra loft batting, and it's not near as expensive as JoAnn's is now. That is what I have been buying for my quilts, I use 2 layers and the quilts come out nice and warm. I have a quilting machine now so I don't have to do no hand stitch quilting anymore.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt View Post
I have bought name brand fabrics from Wal Mart that washed beautifully. They run a few cents more then their cheap fabric but well worth what they charge. If you're doing an heirloom quilt you may prefer your quilt shop but I won't be here in 50 years to see how they hold up so I really don't care.
I couldn't agree more!! When I make a quilt, it is for my children or grandchildren, if it holds up long enough for their future children, wonderful, but those kids aren't going to know me, so I doubt there would be any special sentiment involved. Another thing I hear so many mention is" holding up to washing". I consider myself a pretty clean person, but I just don't wash quilts all that much.Of course, they aren't being used for anything other than bedding. How often do most of you wash your quilts? Maybe I'm not as clean as I think!!LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 07:51 AM

Walmart USED to be a low cost alternative to JoAnns, but now that they have re-committed to fabric departmemts, and begun bringing in better fabrics, the prices have skyrocked from around $3.00 per yd to $5 and $6. Sometimes I can find some decent 100% cotton prints in their $1.50 stuff, but you really have to watch it since it is often flawed, or is part polyester or UNDETERMINED fibers. Still cheaper than a lot of places, and not too bad a wait at the cutting counter.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:52 AM

I do buy some fabric at Wal-Mart. You have to not only look, but feel the fabric. They have some cheap, thin fabrics and also carry what I would call good cotton for quilting.
I found if you went early in the morning before 9am, it was hard to find a clerk to waite on you, so you would have to ask someone in a near by department to call someone to help you. This may just be the store, although it is a super Wal-mart in Idaho.
Department is nicely arranged.
IdahoSandy