Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Funky Folds? >

Funky Folds?

Funky Folds?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM

I sometimes fold fabric on the raw edges after putting it thru the laundry. You'd find quite a bit folded like that if you went thru my stuff.

My reason------------after drying the fabric, it's easier for me that way.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Some flat fold fabrics used to come accordion folded along the length of the fabric...is that how these are?
I think some fabrics are folded pretty (right) side in to protect them from fading...that's my theory anyhows.
When I worked for Fabricland/Joanns, we used to refold the flat folds that came in...because they were accordion folded and when customers went through the flat folds...we ended up with a mess at the end of the day. We took empty fabric boards and folded the fabrics on them, slipping the board out when done.

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
Howdy y'all :c)

Recently I picked up many, many yards of fabric some notions, and even a sewing machine at an estate sale. I petted the fabrics and loved them, then stored them in tubs to be used when needed. The past week I've been working on revamping my sewing room. So I got some of the acid-free comic book boards to wrap fabric around so I could put it all on the new bookshelves I bought. As I was wrapping all of my fabrics around the boards, I came to the fabric I had bought at this estate sale. Now keep in mind that some of these pieces of fabrics were between 6 and 10 yards long. As I tried to get them folded appropriately to wrap them around the boards, I saw that for some reason, every one of the pieces from that particular sale had been unfolded, then refolded so that the raw edges were together rather than the selvedges! Now tell me.....why on earh would a person DO that?!?!? It has been SUCH a big job to try to refold these huge pieces of fabric by myself. I just can't fathom why anyone would think this is a good idea!

On another note, can anyone explain to me why some fabrics you buy at the quilt shops are folded selvedge to selvedge, but wrong-side out? I know it's fairly common with some batiks, but I have 3 fabrics that I found while wrapping around the boards that weren't batiks that were folded this way. Two of them were Christmas fabrics, and one was one that I bought at Hancock's at one point that was drop-dead gorgeous, but once I got it home I found out it was even MORE gorgeous that I had originally thought when I bought it! Is there a reason for doing this that I haven't learned about yet? Teach me oh knowledgeable ones!!! ;-)

Donna
Old 01-16-2012, 07:53 AM

I use to work at Hancocks long time ago and I would say that a good percentage of the fabric came with the wrong side out and we would turn it and drape it back so you could see the right side. But the don't seem to do that any more. As to putting the raw edges together I have no clue. I to need to educated.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM

I have heard that another reason for some to fold raw to raw edge had to do with the pattern on the fabric. I f the fabric was printed lengthwise, it was easier to see the repeat of the pattern if folded raw to raw edge. But this folding was done after purchase. And sometimes after washing also.
Whenn I worked in the fabric store in the 90's, almost all of fabrics came folded wrongside out on the bolt. If you noticed wire stands next to each bolt on the table at the store, that was for the bolt to stand upright with the drape showing to the outside. I remember having to unload crate after crate of bolts that had to be draped. Finding room for the stock that came together in the same place would sometimes be very difficult. Don't miss any of that!!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:27 AM

I think that it is all a question of the intended use of the fabric. Many years ago when fashion fabric ruled, it was always right sides together on the bolt. I guess it did keep it from fading but mainly, that was the way it was cut for sewing clothing. You wanted the wrong sides out for marking darts, folds and other pattern directions and with right sides facing, the cut pieces were ready to sew.