Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner? >

What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner?

What tools of the trade will I need as a beginner?

Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 AM

Not really tools/supplies ~ what we all need ~ patience!!!

Plus accuracy in sewing 1/4" seams, using 1/4" foot.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 AM

I agree with everyone here. Rotery cutter, mat, ruler I have three only but always use them 6x24, 6x12 and a 51/2 square, 1/4 foot I used a tape guide for the first 4 years I quilted. I'll go one step further because you'll find it hard to live without...a walking foot! Great when sewing anything with 3 or more layers together. ou'll learn so much thru trail and error. Also read the threads about which thread to use and go with what works best for you and your budget! Happy quilting
Old 01-16-2012, 03:59 PM

Rotary cutter 45mm, I like 60mm for fleece and batting. Good hand needles for binding. I love my 5x19 ruler didn't care for 6x24. seam ripper, scissors, I find I use my 6inch and 9 inch squares for squaring up most. I use my fabric calculator a lot, not cheap, but I feel It is worth the extra dollars, and if you like strip quilts I find the june tailor shape cut to be indispensable and I use it as frequently as my 5 x19inch ruler. Good marking tools- I love clover chalk pencils, and Dritz blue water soluble marker. Other than that most stuff you can acquire as you go along. This is just traditional quilting if you like applique or paper piecing there are other tools that are nice to have
Old 01-16-2012, 04:12 PM

Decide what you want to make as your first project. Then decide if you need a tool for that. Don't even think about buying tools for a project you aren't doing. You can spend $100's in tools/gadgets and they won't make you a better quilter. If you are having trouble doing something ask if there is a tool to help you, decide if you think it really is worth the money. Remember the quilts in the museums were mostly made with scissors, thread and needle.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

You may have some difficulty adjusting to the 1/4" seam - I know I did (down from 5/8") but it is worth the practice to get that right. For the actual quilting, I'd recommend a walking foot (unless your machine has one built-in). It makes a difference in all straight-line quilting. For pinning I like the curved quilter's safety pins. I would also add a square ruler (size depends on the size squares you plan to make). I have a small one ~7" and a large one (bigger than 15") and while the large one gets a little awkward to maneuver at times, I am used to it. One of these days I will buy one that is 12.5" coz that is my most used block size.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:03 PM

Besides the above mentioned gadgets and youtube, you might want to check out the Missouri Star Quilt Company videos. Many on youtube and also there website. Great helpful tips and shortcuts. I love their site.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by vondae View Post
Besides the above mentioned gadgets and youtube, you might want to check out the Missouri Star Quilt Company videos. Many on youtube and also there website. Great helpful tips and shortcuts. I love their site.
I agree! I learned a lot there. (Not as much as here on the QB.) Here's a link.
http://tutorials.missouriquiltco.com/
Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM

If possible take a class at your local quilt store. Worth the investment and time. Quilting is very different from clothes making. Good luck!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:23 PM

WOW! Thank you so much everybody for your great tips and advice on what I should buy for my first quilting project.

I think I might just start off with a rotary cutter, mat, ruler and 1/4 inch foot and see how I go.

Thanks again!

Geisha.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Geisha Girl View Post
WOW! Thank you so much everybody for your great tips and advice on what I should buy for my first quilting project.

I think I might just start off with a rotary cutter, mat, ruler and 1/4 inch foot and see how I go.

Thanks again!

Geisha.
You'll do great! Welcome to our wonderful hobby. Watch out it is addictive!