Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem >

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Jan 2012 Weight Loss Adventure With A Prize! - the winners were Jholm and Purplemem

Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 AM

Laurejo I got one pair of my flamingo PJ's in the mens dept at Target years ago. THey were on the clearance rack. I can't see many men wearing them. They are threadbare but I love them. The other pair are flannel from Hancocks. I love flamingos and have about 50 or 60 of them. Most of them are in my guest bathroom.
Yes LIke others on here I seem to really blow the healthy eating on Sundays. I seem to just hunt down the junk food and eat it all. I try to buy junk that I don't like but still manage to find some on Sundays. Back to eating healthy and low calorie today. I had a ginormous oatmeal bowl for breakfast. It is a recipe from hungry girl. You take 1/2 cup oatmeal and add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of milk (I use light almond milk) and a chopped apple. You cook it for about 5 minutes and let sit 5 minutes. HUGE bowl of oatmeal only 5 PP on WW.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 AM

I should probably get a dog and then I would have to walk, but then I would have to walk LOL! I did try to put a leash on my cat once (not the current cat the one before). She already had a collar and tolerated it just fine. I clipped on the leash and she flopped over like she was dead. It was so funny. Then she just laid there, after about ten minutes I picked up leash (thinking she wouldn't want to be dragged) but she would not stand up, so a gave a couple gentle tugs and I think she would have let me drag her around the living room all day before she would walk a step. I laughed so hard I couldn't walk! So that was the end of the walking the cat attempt. Neko is not an escape cat so he doesn't even have a collar right now. He hasn't even tried to leave the house since the first month.

Judy my Giant Eagle and Acme have the brown basmati, I just haven't ever bought it. But it is on today's shopping list.

meanmom I guess I will have to hunt up some flamingo flannel and make my own pjs, I don't know why I didn't think of that before. Even though I have lots of flamingo "stuff", I don't have any clothing anymore with my favorite little pink birds.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:25 AM

Christmas is finally over. My family got together over the weekend. My mom even flew back from Florida for it (1st time in 20 yrs). She had hoped to see Ethan but he was sick and could not make it. I just did a quick head count and came up with 46, unless I forgot someone. That is just my siblings and their families. You would not believe all the food.
As far as the seizures, Ethan is still having hundreds a day. It will be a few months before they know if the diet is going to help at all. The poor little guy has so much brain damage that there probably won't be much of "Ethan" left by the time they get the seizures under control, if ever.
My hubby is very sick. My sister texted me that she and her daughter are also sick. I guess some kind of virus that mimics food poisoning. I really hope I don't get it!
My mom has been going to TOPS since the 70's. They don't have a specific diet plan but the weekly weigh-in's help her to keep her weight under control.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 AM

Good Morning & Happy Monday to everyone- I can't believe that Jan is 1/2 over! I know some of you said this month was dragging but it has flown by for me! I weighed in on Fri & am down 1 lb since Jan 1. I feel pretty good about that since I know I gained on the cruise but I didn't want to weigh myself after, so I must have lost that too! I tell you, this weight loss stuff = a lot of work in the kitchen for me! I have been chopping vegetables like crazy! But the key for me is having stuff prepared so I don't go in there hungry & grab whatever I see first. I like to have vegies cut up for salad or snacking, hard boiled eggs cooked & lots of lettuce washed & cut. I can buy 5 heads of romaine hearts for as much as a bag of salad mix so I wash & cut a few at a time to have on hand. I haven't done 100% on the challanges this month but I was more aware of what I was eating. I made sweet potato fries one night for dinner & used brown rice & whole grain sandwich thins this week too. My husband & I were out the other night & split some regular fries & a sandwich on a white bun so like I said, not perfect, but better than I would have been.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:57 PM

Today was an experience. Our little quilt group met at the church to make the quilt for the abused women shelter. Two of the participants who have never come before were not exact measurers or cutters. I refused to sew a couple of blocks. The group already knows I am a fussy control freak and I guess I did nothing to change anyone's mind. I was polite, but .... The piecing is done - I'm sure there are a few 'good enough' spots, but overall it will be fine if I can do I decent job quilting flannel. Wish me luck. Another member is putting on the last borders, then she and I will sandwich and it then it comes home with me. I didn't get a final answer on whether they want the binding done by hand or machine. If it's by hand, it moves on to another finisher. Not my thing for physical and mental reasons - arthritis and impatience. Back to my prayer quilt where I can be as fussy as I want. Yes, I will cut Karen's quilt Wednesday. She comes to go to dinner on Tuesday and I don't want any red scraps hanging around.

I ate better today, but didn't walk too far after being on my feet all day on concrete floors at the church. Lily and Moira were so happy that I came home, they didn't complain. How spoiled these freezing, starving strays have become.

Jeanne, Log Cabins are so cool because there are so many ways to put them together. I used to like barn raising, but lately I like the star layout. I don't think they are hard as long as you can sew straight and square up your blocks regularly before you put them together. I made some four block wallhangings to sell at he bazaar years ago. They started out as as a queen size quilt made totally by hand on my lunch hour. Didn't take too long to know that wasn't going to happen, so I turned them into wallhangings and sold them.

Pam, how do you have 46 people? My house likes 25.

MaggieMay, if you can split a dinner, you're doing well.

meanmom, the oatmeal sounds good though I'd put cinnamon in mine. Can I have brown sugar, too, or is that too many points? Maybe that's why I don't have blood sugar problems - because I eat so much cinnamon. No, not really, but it can't hurt.

Have a good evening, y'all.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:42 AM

Well darn it. I am in the midst of a platau. I am at 356 and have been for several weeks. I am going to kick start my exercise routine tomorrow and journal my eating. I am also going to drink NO calories except for milk. I have allowed too many calories to slip by my lapband.

My goal will certainly be Protein Produce and Fiber. I am going to be taking a class about eating raw. Should be interesting.

Tomorrow I am going to have my sister or mom take some pictures so I can show you guys more progressive pictures.

I did do a HUGE thing today. I had to go see my psychiatrist and case manager today. The building they are in has an upper entrance for people who are wanting to check in with the reception staff and a lower entrance for staff or disabled people. For the FIRST time since I became a client of this clinic 7 years ago I parked upstairs and walked up and down the stairs twice today. Yes by the time I got upstairs (from seeing the psychiatrist and waiting for the case manager) I was a tad winded but it felt soooo good knowing I was able to do it without stopping and I was still able to talk so I wasn’t too winded! Like I said I have not been able to do this in the 7 years I have been in treatment there.

When I first became a client at the mental health center I weighed about 550 pounds and was in a wheelchair. Slowly, and I mean SLOWLY, I was able to transition to a walker. Now, at 356 pounds, I can walk up and down the
stairs TWICE. This feels like such an enormous victory!

I am learning and growing mentally, physically and spiritually. This journey is so worth the effort and work! When I get the next 200 pounds off I think I will feel like I have arrived in life.

Life and God is good.

Missy
Old 01-17-2012, 08:33 AM

What a wonderful accomplishment in being able to use the stairs! I'm glad to hear that you are going to monitor your food intake for a while. It's so easy to see how much you can eat instead of how little. A friend gave me a package of hot spiced cider at the church yesterday. I brought it home because I was a mission and stopping quilting for a drink wasn't in my schedule. Last evening I looked at it - 60 calories and no redeeming food value. I don't think so. Flavored tea has 0 calories and is just as satisfying. Decisions, decisions. You are making good ones.

I'm on another mission to get this prayer quilt off the wall so I can start the quilt that's making me apprehensive. The prayer quilt is going to be a little weird shaped. They only want 45 by 54 so they are portable. I have to go 4 by 5 squares (too squatty) or 4 by 6 (too long proportionally). I chose 4 by 6. No one wants cold feet and I don't want four leftover blocks. I may make the borders a little narrower on the top and bottom than on the sides. Whatever it takes.

Have a good day. I'll check in when I get tired of housework or need a break from sewing.

Decisions, decisions. For the next 24 hours, let's all make healthy eating and exercise ones. Thank you, Missy, for the inspiration to do that. One day at a time!!!

I am getting healthier and gaining control of my weight.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 AM

Taboo Tuesday

Let's get personal today! This week I would like each of us to chose our very own taboo, something that is tripping up the weight loss for YOU. Think it over, pick your taboo & then post it for all of us, maybe you'll think of something we overlooked & need to taboo too I am picking sodas again for myself. I crave that sweetness but I think it's a springboard (for me) for other sweets.Soooo, what your taboo???
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM

ICE CREAM! My weight is sneaking up - what did I sneak into the house late last week? Yeah, you guessed it. So my taboo for the week is ice cream. This is perfect. I was just thinking this morning that ice cream should be taboo, and now, for me, it is.

Off to walk the dogs in a 'blizzard'. Schools are sending the students home early and every meeting anywhere has been cancelled, so we will look like a snowwoman and snowdogs when we come in. I wonder if Karen is coming for dinner. If I were her, I'd go home. She lives in the country with a long driveway.

No ice cream! Yay!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

LOL, I would be happy to take that ice cream off your hands...just cause that's the kind of friend I am We have nuthing worth snackin on here, it's pitiful, really!!!