Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept? >

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

What is your opinion on Walmart's fabric and dept?

Old 01-17-2012, 08:04 AM

I recently purchased fabric from WalMart. It was not thin, the prints were beautiful,
since Joann is the only place to purchase fabric and their selection has really fallen off
they seem to be more craft oriented(at least in my area)
Anyways the fabric was used in quilts and it washed & pressed nicely.
The price was nice and it was nice to have fabric appeal to me for my projects
I made several trips to Joann to help with selection of fabric as if it would suddely appear
and evertime I came home dissapointed.
I have purchsed fabric in the past at Joann's and it was junk so I gave it away.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:34 PM

Default Suprise...

I buy fabric in all kinds of places, incl. Wal Mart. What suprised me was that--I have seen Quilt Shop Owners buy the sale fabric at Wal Mart then take it to their shops and resale it at a higher price. I jointed a Quilt Shop bom from another state and received very bad fabric for the bom. After the 2nd block, I just quit... the fabric was bad-very loose weave. So, I assume you never know where the fabric comes from. If you look at it and like it buy it if you wish...Make what you wish and do not bother what others might remark. I have purchased $12.00/yd fabric that was not as good as a $2.00/yd. Just have fun collecting your fabric and making your projects.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM

I've used their fabric but only if it has the right "feel". After working with fabric for a while, you'll understand what quality fabric feels like. Buy only ones that have that feel. Some at Walmart are fine but others won't be worth the money.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
Not if your grandmother had any sense. Back then when clothes were worn out they were really worn out. People did not have the amount of clothes they do now and they wore them a lot longer than people do now. By the time they were worn out had already been worn by every kid in the family and repaired numerous times and maybe even made over a time or two. By the time the last kid was done they were nearly rags. They tore them in strips and used them for mops or dust rags or cleaning rags in general.

Quilts were made from the SCRAPS from MAKING clothes!!! Most people made clothes back then and would have lots of scraps leftover.

Richer women that had purchased clothes would even buy special fabrics specifically for making quilts.
Yes, my mom's family used scraps from making clothes BUT they never wore dresses until they were RAGS and even when a dress/shirt is worn in some places, there are still some places good enough to use for quilts. Maybe our family needed quilts for warmth more than others. I even have an old quilt that was obviously one covered over another. It has a hole in it and burlap (toe sack) is showing through.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Dee

Very disappointing to say in the least.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:50 PM

Cheap and not worth the money or my time.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:06 PM

I'm way behind at getting these posts read, but they are interesting.

We almost lost the fabric dept at our WM when they did their remodel, but ended up keeping it because of customer feedback at the possibility of no fabric. The dept was a little smaller when the remodel was done, but I noticed some of the fabric was of better quality...the $2/yd stuff is still pretty thin, but that which is priced at $4 to $5/yd is pretty nice and I don't mind working with it.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 AM

We never got rid of the fabric dept, was condensed to one aisle. They always had the cutting table. I saw the dept last month. There is a bit more fabric, they now have sewing machines back, thread, fat quarters look nice. There is at least one attendant at all times. They seem to have a lot of childrens fabric. I wish they would have more, for use for other patterns as well. Fabric looks pretty good